This Sunday in #nerdland: A police-led boycott of a pumpkin farm, the dark side of community apps, 2016 politics including a look ahead to Hillary Clinton’s testimony before the House Select committee on Benghazi, and Tracy Morgan’s return to Saturday Night Live.
We’ll start our conversation with the story of how a Black Lives Matter sign caused a police union leader in Virginia to call for a boycott of a popular pumpkin farm. We’ll take a closer look at the backlash against Black Lives Matter and allegations that it’s anti-police.
Then we’ll take a look at the controversy over how some technology is being used in certain neighborhoods. Critics say some apps created originally as a way of preventing crime are actually being used to target minorities.
Then yet another spotlight on Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign as one of Clinton’s longtime aides, Huma Abedin, who served as her deputy chief of staff in the State Department was questioned Friday by the House Select Committee on Benghazi. Hillary Clinton will soon have to testify again before the committee. Is the committee being used as a political weapon against her?
And speculation continues to build as Vice President Biden decides whether he’ll toss his hat in the Democratic presidential ring.
Plus we’ll take a look at Tracy Morgan’s return to Saturday Night Live for the first time since suffering a traumatic brain injury in a car crash.
Joining our Sunday morning conversation will be:
- Victoria DeFrancesco Soto, MSNBC Contributor ,Fellow at the LBJ School at the University of Texas
- Noël A. Cazenave, Professor of Sociology, University of Connecticut
- Jon Shane, Assoc. Prof. of Criminal Justice, John Jay College
- Monica Dennis, Regional Coordinator for Black Lives Matter NYC
- Paul Kiel, Reporter, ProPublica
- Basil Smikle, Jr., Executive Director, NYS Democratic Party
- Susan Del Percio, Republican Strategist
- Sabrina Siddiqui, Political Reporter, The Guardian
To prep for our discussions, feel free to check out:
- Police union head calls for boycott of pumpkin patch over 'Black Lives Matter' sign
- The secret surveillance of ‘suspicious’ blacks in one of the nation’s poshest neighborhoods
- Clinton aide Huma Abedin questioned on Benghazi attacks
- Jeb Bush slams Donald Trump for saying 9/11 came during George W. Bush’s ‘reign’
- 'That bird is a liar!' See Tracy Morgan's 5 funniest 'SNL' moments (so far)
Be sure to read what we’ve linked above, and watch Melissa Harris-Perry Sunday at 10am ET on MSNBC. Join the conversation—share your thoughts about these issues on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #nerdland.