Today’s installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* Though Ted Cruz has held out the possibility of winning the nomination before the convention, he’s now switched gears a bit on expectations. “I believe the first ballot will be the highest vote total Donald Trump receives,” Cruz told a Las Vegas audience over the weekend. “And on a subsequent ballot, we’re gonna win the nomination and earn the majority.”
* Vice President Biden made his aides awfully nervous yesterday when he said during an interview, “I would like to see a woman elected” as president. He appeared to be speaking generally, and did not endorse Hillary Clinton.
* A Washington Post investigation found that Donald Trump’s charitable donations over the last five years haven’t included any of his own money. Rather, Trump tends to contribute “free rounds of golf, given away by his courses for charity auctions and raffles.”
* In Indiana’s U.S. Senate race, much of the Republican establishment has already rallied behind Rep. Todd Young (R). Yesterday, however, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) threw his support behind Young’s primary opponent, Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R). I’d recommend keeping a close eye on this one.
* Asked about possible members of his cabinet, Trump said yesterday he likes Scott Walker, Marco Rubio, and John Kasich, each of whom has said he has no interest in partnering with Trump. [Correction: I’d originally said Trump mentioned these names as possible running mates, not prospective cabinet officials.]
* Speaking of Walker, the Wisconsin governor predicted the other day that Cruz will win the Republican nomination on the second ballot at the party’s national convention.
* And in Arizona, Sen. John McCain (R) has an underfunded primary challenger, Alex Meluskey, who released a new ad hitting the senator over the $1 million donation Saudi Arabia gave to the McCain Institute Foundation. A Democratic source confirms that the ad is airing this week on Phoenix-area cable.
More Like This
Best of MSNBC
Tuesday's Campaign Round-Up, 4.12.16