As the countdown continues for former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee’s 2016 announcement, we at The Rundown made a countdown of our own with 5 Things: Lincoln!
- Our 16th President Abraham Lincoln was born in Hardin County, Kentucky in 1809. Later he moved to Illinois, the state he would represent in Congress before becoming president.
- The Lincoln Memorial, dedicated in 1992, is a 19-foot statue that commemorates the slain president. It was, of course, where Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous “I Have A Dream” speech.
- Although President Lincoln never drove a Lincoln Town Car, another president did: Calvin Coolidge was the first president ever to be driven around in the luxury car. Ford Motor Company discontinued the car in 2011.
- Lincoln, Nebraska: the capital of the Cornhusker State. It has a population of close to 270,000, making it the second-most populous city in Nebraska.
- Lincoln Logs: the original ones were the idea of John Lloyd Wright In 1924, son of architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
More Like This
Best of MSNBC