IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

The Rachel Maddow Show, Transcript 10/22/14

Guests: Josh Wingrove, Lee-Anne Goodman, Charlie Angus

CHRIS HAYES, "ALL IN" HOST: THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW starts right now. Good evening, Rachel. RACHEL MADDOW, MSNBC HOST: That is the political equivalent of an action movie. Watching Steve do that and seeing you guys going through all of those races. It`s phenomenal. So exciting. Thank you. And thanks to you at home for joining us this hour. All day long, you`ve been seeing this remarkable footage shot inside one of Canada`s main parliament buildings in Ottawa. Just truly shocking first person close-up video of that horrendous firefight with dozens of shots fired inside the parliament building. The reporter who shot that video today is going to be live joining us in just a moment. We`ve got him coming up. But an understanding today`s news out of the Canadian capital, and what happened today in Ottawa. It is worth considering what has just happened in Canada leading up to this. Last week, Canada`s version of the Pentagon, their Department of National Defense, instituted a new policy related to members of the armed forces and the press. After Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced the Canadian aircraft and personnel would be taking part in the coalition air campaign against ISIS militants in Iraq, the Defense Department subsequently announced new restrictions on how the media would be allowed to cover Canadian military personnel deploying to that fight. This is how a clearly frustrated "Toronto Sun" newspaper wrote up the new media restrictions. This is that article from "The Sun". They explained for the first time although they, as the press, were being allowed to show that there were some Canadian troops leaving to go fight ISIS in Iraq, the new restrictions on them included news photographers not being allowed to show any of the soldiers` faces too closely and news reporters and photographers not being allowed to reveal the names of any of the men and women who were being deployed to Iraq. The Defense Department also banned the Canadian media from interviewing any members of those soldiers` families as those soldiers headed off to Iraq. The new restrictions went so far that a public affairs officer reportedly clicked through individual images with news photographers who were there to cover the departure of those troops leaving to go to Iraq and the public affairs officer ordered news photographers to delete specific photographs in their cameras -- specific photographs that the military deemed were too specific about who exactly those Canadian soldiers were. The Canadian government explained that the elaborate new restrictions were because of fears that members of the military or members of their families might be targeted at home. Might be targeted in Canada in retribution for the Canadian military participating in the U.S.-led fight against ISIS. So, that was a new policy in Canada implemented over the past couple of weeks. Roughly simultaneously, NBC News also reported, NBC News published a story on October 8th, exclusively reporting that Canadian authorities had overheard ISIS sympathizers talking about potential low- tech terrorist attacks inside Canada. The intelligence that NBC reported two weeks ago was not any sort of spectacular terrorist event planned. Some major bombing in the works instead, these would be, individual attacks would be low-level attacks. They called them, quote, "knife and gun attacks" against Canadian targets inside Canada, as NBC News reported. It was maybe also going to include some sort of American targets inside of Canada if that was possible, but that was the Canadian intelligence. Canadian authorities, at the time, again, roughly two weeks ago, would not confirm the specifics of what NBC News reported about that intelligence chatter, right, about what they were overhearing among Islamic extremists. But the Canadian government did announce that same day that the Mounties, the royal Canadian mounted police were working on dozens of simultaneous, active domestic terrorism investigations involving Canadian citizens. They announced that specifically they were monitoring 90 people in Canada who they believed might be connected to Islamic extremist terrorism, going so far with some of those people to revoke their passports so they could not travel abroad. So, this all happened before today. This all happened over the last couple of weeks in Canada. Clearly, the Canadian government knew something was up, knew something was going on. I mean, their federal police and intelligence and defense agencies were confident enough that something was going on that they instituted these new, unprecedented measures to try to create a shield of anonymity around members of military and their families. They were confident enough that something was cooking, that they were willing to explain publicly that they were monitoring 90 individuals inside that country for potential ties to terrorists and potential intention to join up with terrorist groups. So, that`s all happened over the last couple of weeks. Clearly, something going on. And then this week, on Monday, there was what the Canadian government is now describing as a terrorist attack. In a suburb of Montreal, a strip mall parking lot. A man named Martin Rouleau was a recent convert to Islam, he reportedly sat in his car for two hours outside a veteran support center in that strip mall before apparently deliberately ramming his car into two uniformed Canadian soldiers and running them both down. One of those soldiers was hospitalized and is now in stable condition. The second soldier, a 53-year-old warrant officer, was killed in that attack. The hit-and-run driver then took off, led police on a high-speed chase, eventually rolled his car into a ditch. When he emerged from his rolled over vehicle, police say he was carrying a knife and they shot him and killed him. After that incident on Monday -- this is fascinating. So, that happened on Monday, two days ago. After that happened, police announced that the killer in that case, the guy who they shot when he got out of his car with a knife, they say, they say that he was one of the 90 people who they had been monitoring in conjunction with ties to terrorism and terrorist groups. The Mounties had just announced they were monitoring 90 people and then one of the 90 people they were monitoring commits this crime. They say they started monitoring him in June when his Facebook feed became increasingly radical and violent and expressed a desire to leave and country to go join ISIS fighters abroad. In July, it appears he tried to do just that. When he was attempting to leave the country to fly to Turkey, which is how most fighters, it appears have gotten into Syria to join ISIS. He was apparently stopped in Canada, arrested by Canadian authorities as he was attempting to travel to Turkey. They stopped him from doing so, they confiscated his passport and took him into custody. They did not keep him in custody. They said they had no basis to do so. But they kept in touch. Police say they were in regular contact with the man as recently as two weeks ago. They say their last meeting with him was on October 9th. They say they`d also taken meetings with the imam that he attended. They`d taken meetings with his parents, all to try to intervene, to try to stop him from the radical path they thought he was on. But after last talking to police two weeks ago, the next time he surfaced was after killing that one soldier and wounding another. Again, that suspect in the Monday attack, the suspect himself was killed after that hit-and-run. And after that hit-and-run targeting those uniformed officers in which one was injured and one was killed, the Canadian government announced that they believed it was a terrorist attack, just days before, they`d also raised the threat level for the nation, the first time it had been raised nationwide since 2010. And then today, for the second time in three days, another uniformed member of the Canadian armed forces was killed on Canadian soil. Tonight, the Canadian government has identified 32-year-old Canadian citizen Michael Joseph Hall, aka, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau as the gunman who was shot dead inside one of the main buildings in the Canadian parliament in Ottawa this morning. The man is described by authorities as a convert to Islam. Again, he`s 32 years old. He just turned 32 years old. We know very little else about him. His name was confirmed shortly after it was reported that Canadian government provided his name to U.S. authorities, specifically to ask the FBI for help in tracking down any potential terrorist affiliations or suspicious activities this man might have been involved in that might help them understand more about this attack today in Ottawa and what happened today. Law enforcement officials in Washington tell the "New York Times" tonight that a search of FBI databases have not come up with anything on the guy, at least so far. When the news first broke about what was happening in Ottawa this morning, initial reports made it seem like there might be simultaneous attacks underway at three or even four sites simultaneously in the Canadian capital. Those initial reports this morning proved to be untrue. But they did create this very alarming international impression that there might be a sort of Mumbai thing going on here, right? There might be a complex, coordinated assault involving multiple gunmen, multiple attackers at multiple sites all hitting places in the capitol at the same time. That`s what the initial reports suggested. Now, it appears, that what happened were shooting attacks at two sites. Close to each other in downtown Ottawa, right at the heart of the Canadian national government. It was two sites and the two attacks were not simultaneous, but they did happen one right after the other. The first one was at Canada`s war memorial where they hold veterans commemorations, a uniformed Canadian soldier who has now been identified as 24-year-old Corporal Nathan Cirillo, a reservist from Hamilton, Ontario, he was shot and killed at the war memorial, apparently with no provocation and no apparent warning. Some of the saddest footage from Ottawa today showed desperate efforts by passers by and by other soldiers who had rushed to the Corporal Cirillo`s aid trying to revive him after he`d been shot. This is amateur video obtained by NBC News tonight. The person who shot this video claims this shows what happens next after the war memorial shooting. This is an ongoing story, the details may change as we learn more and the investigation continues. But as of tonight, we do have this amateur video, which appears to show what happened after that initial shooting, that fatal shooting at the war memorial. What it appears to show is that after the war memorial shooting, the gunman from that shooting then got into a vehicle and drove away from the scene of that shooting but did not drive away very far. You can see on this map the location of the first shooting, national war memorial, in relation to the location of the second shooting. And as you can see from this aerial view, they`re just a couple of blocks apart. The Canadian parliament has an east block, a west block and a center block, three buildings all tightly centered on what they call parliament hill. This video shot by "Globe and Mail" reporter Josh Wingrove today shows what happened after the gunman reportedly entered into the center block and police started to close in on him down this sort of classical colonnade inside the building, this long formal hallway, at the entrance to the library of parliament, this reporter was there among the police officers moving toward the active shooter. Moving toward the gunman when this incredible barrage of gunfire rung out. We still don`t know exactly what happened inside parliament, including basic details like what kind of gun the gunman had or how many times he fired or the eventual -- the eventual exchange of fire that led to his death. We don`t know the details yet of his confrontation with security forces inside the parliament building. But what we are told by the Canadian authorities tonight is that the gunman was shot and killed inside the parliament building by this man. He officially is the sergeant-at-arms at the Canadian parliament, and it is a job that can seem very ceremonial, up to and including having to wear all the formal ridiculous ceremonial gear, right? For formal events and processions involving parliament. It is not just a formal titular head. He is the chief security officer for the parliament. And tonight, he personally is being described as the man who shot and killed this attacking gunman inside parliament, who may have been the same gunman who killed Corporal Nathan Cirillo blocks away at the National War Memorial. Now, Canadian officials are not officially ruling out the possibility there was another person or multiple other people involved in this attack. The one suspect`s name that we do have is said to be the man who was killed in parliament today, apparently by the sergeant-at-arms. Was this one man, one gun? Is this one man, one gun acting in isolation? Should this be seen as a continuation of the threat, and, indeed, the attack that happened in Canada killing another uniformed soldier two days ago? Is this what Canadian soldiers and intelligence agencies clearly have been bracing themselves against for the last couple of weeks, as they put in these new restrictions on learning the identity of members of the Canadian armed forces fighting against ISIS as they announced an alert -- a change in the alert level, the terror level for the entire nation of Canada as they announced they had 90 people under surveillance for potential ties to terrorist groups. As NBC News reported they had overheard chatter they were going to be low-level knife and gun type attacks by ISIS sympathizers inside Canada? Is this what they knew was coming? And, how much of this particular story is over? After those first shots rang out this morning at about 10:20 a.m. Eastern Time, the apartment building in Ottawa was put under lockdown. The whole downtown. That whole downtown portion of Ottawa was put under lockdown. People advised the public to stay away from the area, to stay away from parliament hill and away from that part of Ottawa generally. About an hour after that, all schools in the area in the University of Ottawa were also placed on lockdown. Few minutes later before noon today, all military bases were placed on lockdown. That lockdown was lifted from Ottawa schools and the university and then ultimately all of the downtown area. Within just the last few minutes, we are hearing reports that the lockdown on parliament itself, which had lasted all day today and well into tonight is just now in the process of being lifted. I said moments ago that we were hoping to speak with the reporter from the "Globe and Mail" who shot this remarkable video, including the sound of the firefight inside the parliament today. Well, he is, as we speak, still inside parliament, and although the lockdown is now reportedly lifted in downtown Ottawa and in the process of being lifted inside parliament. The reporter Josh Wingrove is still apparently unable to leave inside the building where he`s been all day since he shot this at the very beginning of the confrontation and he joins us now. Mr. Wingrove, thank you very much for being with us. I appreciate it after a hard day. JOSH WINGROVE, GLOBE AND MAIL (via telephone): My pleasure. MADDOW: Can you tell us the circumstances of how you came to shoot that video today? WINGROVE: I mean, it began as a pretty normal day, which seems, you know, silly to think now. We were just there. This is -- Wednesday mornings are when MPs from all parties have their caucus meetings. So, it`s a good chance for all of us to get them on issues we`re doing. So, I was there for that. I had holed up in an alcove writing the story about 10 to 10:00 in the morning. And that`s when we heard the gunfire break out. Now, at first, it was -- sounded like two types of guns sort of initial bursts, and that`s around from the alcove and looked, sort of seemed to erupt in the sort of rotunda of the parliament building. This is the big open area, sort of, like, you know, the grand entrance sort of area right in the center of the building. It`s often filled with tourists, but sort of a -- there weren`t a lot of people there. And what we saw was smoke in the air and you can smell the gun powder and guards with their guns drawn. And it looked like they were on more of a hunt than a chase. In other words, it didn`t seem they had their eyes on someone right at that moment. And so, we sort of followed and walked toward the rotunda as they moved down sort of to my left. And that`s where the video we shot sort of kicks in. That`s moving down what`s called the Hall of Honor. This is the hall where we had a tribute to all the soldiers Canada lost in Afghanistan. That`s no longer there. That`s where they were walking down. And they`re walking towards the library of parliament at the back and passed a room on the left where our prime minister was with his members of parliament. So, you see them along it and opening fire, which is remarkable number of bullets. Seemed to me in the sort of haste of it all that many, if not all of those shots were fired from guards at what we presume was the suspect. And we saw, sort of, as I said, a body sort of slumped in front of the library. So, the opposite ends of the rotunda. The whole thing took maybe three or four minutes. And as you can imagine, it was just absolutely surreal. (INAUDIBLE) earlier attack and the deaths of the Canadian soldier and just been a heartbreaking day here in Ottawa. MADDOW: Josh, as you were trying -- both realizing what was happening and trying to figure out what was happening as you were following the security officers and trying to understand what they were doing, did you have any sense either then or immediately after if they thought there was more than one gunman if they knew there was only one? Or if they knew -- they thought they knew there was more than one. Was that at all clear to you? WINGROVE: It`s my firm sense they thought and think there was more than one. We -- as I say, we`ve been in lockdown now since 10:00 a.m. That`s a pretty long time. And if you saw the building and or the area around the building were safe, I don`t think that would be the situation we`d be in. We saw immediately after the shooting, tactical teams sweeping the building, breaking down office doors, you know, going room by room. And that`s sort of what led us all to be gathered in the holding room we`re in now, because, of course, people sought refuge all over the building. Could`ve ducked into whatever corner you could find as the shots sort of rang out in this hallway that is the backbone of the parliament building. So, it`s just been a very chaotic day. Very fluid situation. We got very little information here, for those of us sort of in lockdown and still in parliament. We`re just sort of biding our time to wait and see when we`ll be able to get out of here. MADDOW: They haven`t given any advice of when you might be able to leave yet? WINGROVE: No, I wish, I think the fiancee`s hoping for something. (LAUGHTER) MADDOW: Josh Wingrove, a reporter with "The Globe and Mail" newspaper, who shot that video from inside the parliament building today, still, right now, in lockdown there tonight. Josh, good luck to you. Thank you for talking to us. Good luck. WINGROVE: Thank you for having me. MADDOW: Thank you. All right. We`ve got more ahead on the security situation in Canada, plus more news ahead tonight, just a remarkable day. Stay with us. (COMMERCIAL BREAK) MADDOW: Tonight, there are late-breaking reports of yet another person somehow jumping over the White House fence and making a run for the White House. This is the video that we`ve got of the incident tonight. A man apparently climbs over the iron fence on to the north lawn of the White House. The Secret Service stopped him. More specifically, apparently, the working dogs of the Secret Service stopped the man and brought him down on the lawn before he could get close to the White House. He`s said to have gotten 20 to 25 yards from the fence before they brought him down. I should say this video was captured incidentally by news crews who were on site for normal White House coverage responsibilities when this fence jumping happened tonight. After the incident, the Secret Service we`re told spread out across the White House grounds. The whole White House facility, the whole campus there was put on lockdown. So, the Secret Service could investigate this breach. We`re told tonight that the man who jumped over the fence was injured in this incident tonight and assured that the White House was safe. We`re told tonight that the man who jumped over the fence was injured in this incident tonight. We`re not exactly sure how. We`re told that he`s being treated for his injuries. We`re also told that whatever reporters and crews and photographers were on scene there tonight from the White House press corps, they were for a long time all locked down inside the White House while the Secret Service investigated that incident. But that lock down for press at the White House has now ended. White House fence jumpers do happen. This happening tonight, though, does come as an incredibly tense time. Even just looking at us, right? Just looking at this country. After a series of scandals and lapses involving the U.S. Secret Service recently, it was just a month ago that a troubled 42-year-old Texas man armed with a knife was not only able to jump the fence, but he was able to run all the way across the White House lawn and into an unlocked door at the north portico of the White House. He was then able to run about half the ground floor of the White House proper before the secret service finally knocked him down. After that incident and the expose of other lapses and scandals at the Secret Service, the Secret Service director resigned. And the Secret Service also installed -- you can see at the bottom of your screen here, a temporary second fence. It`s only a wee little fence, but the hope is it would at least slow down any aspiring fence jumpers so the Secret Service would have more time to get to them. Well, tonight, Secret Service officers and dogs did apparently have enough time to get to the man on the White House north lawn. Again, the man is reportedly injured and in custody. But we will let you know more about this as we learn it. Of course, tonight`s breach also comes after a scary and at times bewildering day of news out the Canadian capital city of Ottawa, 500 miles north of Washington, D.C. President Obama met with his new Ebola policy coordinator at the White House today. He met with reporters afterward. And naturally, reporters didn`t just want to talk about Ebola, they also wanted to talk about what happened today, this gunman attack on the Canadian parliament and the killing of a uniformed Canadian soldier. (BEGIN VDIEO CLIP) BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: I had a chance to talk with Prime Minister Harper this afternoon. Obviously, the situation there is tragic. Just two days ago, a Canadian soldier had been killed in an attack. We now know that another young man was killed today, and I expressed on behalf of the American people our condolences to the family and the Canadian people as a whole. We don`t yet have all the information about what motivated the shooting. We don`t yet have all the information about whether this was part of a broader network or plan or whether this was an individual or series of individuals who decided to take these actions. (END VIDEO CLIP) MADDOW: President Obama went on to say in these remarks today that "it`s important for us to recognize that when it comes to dealing with terrorist activity, that Canada and the United States have to be entirely in sync." I want to bring into the conversation now Lee-Anne Goodman. She`s a national affairs reporter with the Canadian press. Ms. Goodman, thank you very much for being here. I appreciate your time tonight. LEE-ANNE GOODMAN, CANADIAN PRESS REPORTER: Thank you for having me. MADDOW: So, in terms of this still being an ongoing story. GOODMAN: Appreciate it. MADDOW: Appreciate you being here, as well. We`re just speaking with another reporter who found himself on lockdown inside one of the parliament buildings -- GOODMAN: Yes. MADDOW: -- today, since this morning. He explained that although parts of Ottawa are being on lockdown, those still inside parliament still have not been cleared to leave. To what extent is this still an ongoing security situation? GOODMAN: You know, I just walked to this studio about a block and a half away. And it`s like I was in a war zone. I got challenged at every step, what was I doing outside? How did I get outside? Why did they let me outside? Get back into my building, you better have authorization to where you`re going. It`s kind of scary in the streets of Ottawa right now. Something I might have expected. You know, I was in D.C. covering the White House and Capitol Hill for five years. I sort of sadly got accustomed to covering those sorts of stories in the States and dealing with that kind of security. But you just don`t see it up here. It`s a real shock. MADDOW: Is it clear to you why the lockdown or partial lockdown is still underway? I mean, the authorities thus far have been vague, seems purposely vague about whether or not they`re clear that this was a single person attack or whether there might have been other people involved in this, whether it might have been somehow coordinated. Is that what they`re still doing as best as we can tell? GOODMAN: It seems so. The RCMP held a news conference today where they seem to sort of backpedal a bit on whether there was more than one shooter. They didn`t outright say there wasn`t. But they were less forceful in suggesting the gunman. But -- and I would assume, you know, I don`t know if you remember the navy yard shooting in D.C. where for most of the day, we thought there were three or four shooters and ended up being just one guy. And I suspected that`s what was going on here, as well. But the fact that the town is under such a severe lockdown, as you say, makes you wonder if they know something that we don`t and that they`re not sharing with the rest of us. MADDOW: In terms of the named suspect, the man killed today in parliament. Michael Joseph Hall. Do we know anything further about his background, whether or not he was on the radar of security officials or intelligence officials, whether or not there`s anything about him that might indicate more about what was behind this attack today or whether it`s linked to others? GOODMAN: He has -- he does have a criminal background. He`s known to police. He changed his name from Michael Hall to more, I guess, Islamic- sounding name. Nobody`s quite sure why or what his motivation is. But it does seem that this was an act of terrorism. The prime minister came out today and said it was an act terrorism. He ran through large groups of civilians and could`ve taken out a lot more people than he did. He seemed intent on taking out a Canadian soldier and then running to parliament hill or driving part of the way, actually, to parliament hill to go after parliamentarians. He wasn`t sort of randomly some sort of disgruntled employee who was just randomly taking out as many people as possible. He seemed to be targeting certain, you know, politicians and parliamentarians and the Canadian military. So, we don`t know a lot about him right now, but I fully expect there`s going to be a lot of information being revealed about him in the days to come, especially given we just went through this two days ago with another radicalized Canadian who had jihadist sympathies and, again, just Canadian boys who somehow went wrong and no one`s quite sure why yet. MADDOW: National affairs reporter Lee-Anne Goodman with Canadian press -- appreciate you getting through the gauntlet to be on camera with us. Thanks very much. Good luck. GOODMAN: Thank you. Appreciate you having me on. MADDOW: Thanks. All right. Next, we`re going to be talking live with a member of the Canadian parliament who was inside during the attack. Also, still ahead, why the Republican official who claims to have helped save Alabama from the Democrats is in a whole lot of trouble he did not expect tonight. Stay with us. (COMMERCIAL BREAK) MADDOW: In 1966, a 45-year-old man walked into a business that sold blasting supplies for mining and construction and stuff. And he said he wanted to buy 10 sticks of dynamite. He made up a story for why he had some legitimate reason to need the dynamite, gave a fake name, fake address, they let him buy it. But here`s the thing, when he was buying the dynamite, he asked the clerk he was buying it from what he should expect from the fuses that he was buying to go along with the dynamite. He didn`t know, so he asked. And what the clerk told him was that he could expect about 60 seconds of burn time for every one foot length of fuse. It turns out, the clerk was wrong. In reality, those fuses burned one foot every 40 seconds, not one foot every 60 seconds. And so, when the man built those sticks of dynamite into a bomb, he timed it out in terms of the fuses. He went to the Canadian parliament with his bomb made out of sticks of dynamite, he got up, went to a bathroom, lit the fuse on the bomb and then he calculated he would have just enough time to get from the bathroom back out into the public gallery to throw the bomb on to the floor of the parliament whereupon it would explode. But thank Christ, the clerk gave him the wrong information about the burn time of the fuses. And so, the only thing he ended up blowing up was the bathroom that he was in and himself. And nobody else besides him died in the process. That ridiculous attempted bombing attack on the Canadian parliament happened in 1966. We`ve posted a link to the remarkable CBC archive footage of that attack online today if you want to see for yourself, it is, as I say, remarkable. That failed attack in the `60s led to some of the first significant security measures at the Canadian parliament, including people in public galleries having to have their bags and parcels checked, and employees of parliament having to wear identification badges and stuff like that. But the Canadian parliament building is still a really heavily visited and public place. It is a place of business for the Canadian parliament. It is also, though, a tourist attraction that receives millions of visitors each year, in part because it`s lovely. There have been other scary security incidents at parliament over the years. At this one, 25 years ago, in 1989, an armed man hijacked a greyhound bus full of hostages and parked it on parliament hill right outside the parliament buildings. There was an eight-hour standoff with SWAT teams before he eventually released his hostages and surrendered. A few years later in 1997, a man drove his Jeep Cherokee up two flights of stairs, right up to the main entrance doors of the building and started screaming about politicians and devil worshippers. Before police were able to subdue him, he kicked out the back window of a police cruiser once they threw him in it. The Canadian parliament in Ottawa has seen its share of security breaches, large and small. But today, it was a low-tech order from security officials for members of parliament once the shooting started inside parliament`s center block building. Police told the MPs and told anybody else working inside the building that they should stay where they were, that they should lock any doors that could lock, and they said, for any doors that could not be locked, security officers told them to barricade those doors. Barricade them shut. Look at this photo. This "Reuters" photo today showing the Conservative Party caucus room, members having piled up chairs against the doors as a makeshift barricade against whatever might have been coming their way. Charlie Angus is a member of parliament from the New Democratic Party. He was also inside the building when the shooting started this morning. He told reporters today that as the gunfire echoed through the halls during his party`s caucus meeting, quote, "suddenly those parliamentary caucus doors looked very, very flimsy." Joining us now is Charlie Angus, MP. Mr. Angus, thanks very much for being with us tonight. It`s been a difficult day for you. MP CHARLIE ANGUS, MEMBER OF CANADIAN PARLIAMENT: Thank you very much for having me. MADDOW: First of all, can you tell us what happened over the course of your day once this gunfire broke out in parliament while you and so many other MPs were there and when you were finally able to get out of the building? ANGUS: Well, thank you for your interest. For your viewers to understand, Wednesday is caucus day in parliament. We meet Mondays to Friday, but Wednesday mornings, all MPs meet with their parties. In the main corridor, you probably have the footage where the gunfire took place. That`s the Hall of Honor. That`s the center spine of the parliament buildings. There`s a door to the right. And on that side is our caucus and the Democratic Party where the leader finished meeting with our MPs. The door to the left is where the prime minister and the cabinet was. So, roughly around 10:00 this morning, a hundred of us or so MPs are in a room and we hear heavy duty gunfire on the other side of that door. There`s an air of reality about this. You`re thinking this is not really happening and you think Columbine, you think there`s a shooter. And the obvious choice for that shooter is one door or the other. And so, we were putting up desks and he`s on the floor getting people down, making sure people were calm. And we did that, we did that in an orderly fashion. We looked out for each other, made sure we stayed together. And fortunately, our security were there to handle the situation, and we lost a young reservist soldier from the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Regiment, Mr. Cirillo. And that is a tragedy that we will remember, but we didn`t lose anyone else. MADDOW: Mr. Angus, are you and other members of parliament or leadership from any of the parties being briefed in terms of the ongoing investigation? Obviously, there`s a lot of both curiosity and concern as to whether or not this was an individual acting alone, whether this might have been linked to either the earlier incident this week or any other incidents that might be about to happen or that might have been connected to this. Are you being briefed on the investigation? Or can you tell us what you know? ANGUS: Well, I know that our leader, Thomas Mulcair, the leader of the official opposition, will be in briefings, the prime minister`s certainly been briefed. Some of our MPs were still in lock down until recently. Some of the others were not. What we do know from these two incidents this week and it`s very important to stress these -- the terrible killing of a soldier by a guy in a shopping mall with a car, this was not a terrorist brought in from overseas. He was a local boy who, born and bred in Quebec, who became so- called radicalized, I think became so-called crazy. So, we had one incident and then we have what may have been a copycat. Another young man, the only thing we know about him is previous conviction for drugs, previous conviction for mugging. Does that tell me that this is an international terror gang? The only thing he had in his hand was a shotgun. And thank God all he had was a shotgun and not heavy duty weaponry. So, are we dealing with an international terrorist threat? Are we telling with wannabes and copycats? These are things that as we deconstruct what happened today, we will need to -- we need to look through that. We will need to look through the security of how parliament operates to make sure (AUDIO GAP) but we also need to make sure that we do not as a country give in because some nutjob decides to make a name for himself in the papers and throws our democracy off course. So, let`s look at what happened, but let`s not be spooked by these kind of people. MADDOW: Charlie Angus, member of parliament who had a difficult day today and saw a lot of this firsthand -- sir, thank you so much for your time tonight. Thank you for your perspective. I appreciate you being here. ANGUS: Well, thank you and thanks to all of our cousins south of the border who have been paying attention and praying for us. We are -- MADDOW: Absolutely. ANGUS: -- big North American, sometimes you guys rub us the wrong way, but you`re the closest family we have. So, thank you so much for your concern. MADDOW: That means a lot to me personally. Thank you, sir. ANGUS: I bet it does. You take care. MADDOW: Exactly right. As a person whose mom is Newfie, this is a day where the news is hitting me in particular, in any case. Just ahead, we`ve got lots of other big news that happened today. Stay with us. (COMMERCIAL BREAK) MADDOW: It`s one of those days, there`s been a lot going on today and tonight with the news from Ottawa, with the latest White House fence jumper coming on the worst possible day and all the rest of it. But there`s also late breaking great news: unqualified great news that has just broken tonight. And we`ve got that very good news story for you next. (COMMERCIAL BREAK) MADDOW: Ready for some good news? We actually have some great news. The family of the second Dallas nurse to contract Ebola in this country says her blood has now tested negative for Ebola. She`s clear, she survived it. Amber Vinson was diagnosed October 15th. She does remain in treatment the Emory, but her family says she`s in good spirits and feeling much better. And that great news about her recovering from Ebola, now testing clear of the virus, that comes on the heels of the equally excellent news that the NBC freelance cameraman, Ashoka Mukpo, who contracted Ebola in the Liberia and came home to the U.S. for treatment, today, he was also declared free of the virus. He talked with NBC`s Kate Snow tonight. (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) ASKOHA MUKPO, NBC FREELANCE CAMERAMAN: You know, your life is hanging by a thread. It makes me remember a lot of these people that I filmed and talked to and to kind of connect with the kind of fear that they must have felt. And, you know, there`s almost no words for that. You just -- you feel this is 2014. You know, we can`t be seeing this happening to human beings right now. We`ve got to do better. We really got to do better. (END VIDEO CLIP) MADDOW: Ashoka Mukpo has himself survived Ebola. Amber Vinson is declared free of the virus today. Unqualified good news on a day we need unqualified good news. Stay with us. (COMMERCIAL BREAK) MADDOW: "Storming the State House". This is the campaign book written by the chairman of the Republican Party and the Republican speaker of the House, the most powerful politician in the state of Alabama. See the subtitle there? "Storming the State House: The Campaign that Liberated Alabama from 136 years of Democrat Rule". Rat rule. Notice they don`t say Democratic? The author of that tail about how Alabama was liberated from rats. I mean Democrats. His name is Mike Hubbard. He`s the most powerful politician in Alabama. It`s one of those states where the governor vetoes something, the legislature can override with a simple majority vote, which means anybody who controls the majority of votes in the legislature, aka, the speaker, has way more power than anyone else, including the governor. They can essentially run the state. In 2010, nationwide, the Republicans launched the $30 million stealth campaign to take over state legislatures across the country. Hugely successful effort. They emerged ruling more chambers and legislatures than they had since the 1950s. They then used that control of state legislatures coast to coast to gerrymander congressional districts so Republicans basically can`t lose the House of Representatives until there`s a new census in the year 2020. The Republicans did great in the last midterms in 2010. And the poster child in their success in that effort was Alabama and old Mike Hubbard. Mike Hubbard was not only chair of the Republican Party in the state. He`s also the Republican leader in the legislature since 2006. Democrats had control of the Alabama legislature for 130-some-odd years in Alabama, since reconstruction after the Civil War. It was proving for hard for Republicans to push the Democrats out, even as the state got more and more red. In part, that`s because there was strict laws against corporations donating more than $500 to any one campaign. They`re having a hard time pushing the Democrats out. Five hundred dollars per campaign from corporations was not going to be enough to fund a Republican takeover in a state like that. But Mike Hubbard hatched a plan with national party leaders to basically launder big donations and corporate money all over the country and funnel it into Alabama to try to turn that state red. In 2010, it worked. Under Mike Hubbard, the Republican Party won all statewide offices in Alabama. They gained control of both houses of the state legislature for the first time in 136 years. And so, Republican Party chairman Mike Hubbard wrote his book and he became majority leader instead of minority leader and ran unopposed for the most powerful job in state government. He became speaker of the house. If to you`ve been looking at these picture, if you notice this picture is different than the other ones of him we`ve been showing it`s because this one is his new mug shot. This week, the man who turned Alabama red, who was lauded nationwide as the architect of the Republican Party takeover of Alabama, this week he was indicted on 23 felony corruption charges, using his position as chair of the party for personal gain, using his position in the legislature for personal gain. He`s charged basically with shaking down lobbyists and other players in Alabama politics for hundreds of thousands of dollars and investments in his various businesses. The indictment of who he asked for payments, or who he got payments from is a who`s who of Alabama politics. Former Alabama Governor Bob Riley, Bob Riley`s daughter, who is a big-time lobbyist, the head of the Alabama Business Council with the amazing name, Billy Canary. Alabama Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard was indicted on 23 felony counts on Monday. He was photographed and fingerprinted. Less than an hour later, he was back out on the campaign trail doing a League of Women Voters candidate forum because he`s up for reelection in less than two weeks. Apparently there`s nothing in Alabama law that says a person has to resign or step aside from even a very top of the tippy top office just because they`ve been indicted on nearly two dozen felony charges. Mike Hubbard says he`s being rail railroaded. He says people are out to get him. It`s a political persecution. But since the Republican Party took control of the Alabama state government, Mike Hubbard`s triumph, right, he`s now the third Alabama Republican state rep to get arrested in the state corruption investigation. The first one pled guilty in April, second one goes on trial on Monday. And now, Mike Hubbard himself, the architect himself, the man who put Republicans in control of that state and who basically runs that state, he`s now facing trial, too, and up to 20 years in prison. And in the meantime, he`s facing a re-election effort in less than two weeks. Just an amazing turn of events. Watch this space. That does it for us tonight on what has been an incredible night of news. We`re going to see you again tomorrow night. But now, it is time for "THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O`DONNELL". Good evening, Lawrence. THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED. END Content and programming copyright 2014 MSNBC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Copyright 2014 CQ-Roll Call, Inc. All materials herein are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of CQ-Roll Call. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.