The assault weapons ban was dropped from the gun control package, much to Sen. Dianne Feinstein's disappointment. But what's next for gun legislation? The Senate bill currently includes school safety measures, but Sen. Harry Reid is contemplating expanding the measure to include a universal background check proposal. At least right now, enhanced checks only have limited support from Republicans.
Here's a look at some of the top stories we're following:
- President Obama in Israel: 'It's good to get away from Congress'
- Obama vows 'eternal' alliance on first visit to Israel as president
- Sen. Feinstein still fighting on gun control legislation
- New York Daily News slams death of assault weapons ban: 'Shame on U.S.'
- Rand Paul is not pro-life anymore
- Priebus reiterated GOP's anti-gay marriage stance, even after calling for more tolerance
- A new face in the Kentucky Senate race
- Cuccinelli compares slavery abolition to anti-abortion movement
- A musician goes on anti-gay rant and gets tour canceled
- Rep. Michele Bachmann runs away from a reporter
- Obama's top four picks in the NCAA bracket
- Condoleezza Rice to write a book