Looking to smooth over flared tensions, President Obama plans to host a dinner with Republican senators on Wednesday night. Obama raised the idea earlier in the week during a phone conservation with South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham. Other invitees include John McCain, Kelly Ayotte, Tom Coburn, Pat Toomey, Bob Corker, Ron Johnson and Saxby Chambliss. Barring any cancellations due to major snow storm expected to hit D.C. later in the day, the group plans to meet at a hotel near the White House.
Here's a look at some of the stories we're following right now.
- Trying to revive talks, Obama goes around GOP leaders
- Putting rancor aside, Congress takes a crack at a budget
- Jonathan Chait: Republicans have won a budget battle, but not the war
- Public in favor of spending cuts, except for military
- The sequester: Obama and congressional Republicans working to blunt impact of cuts
- Rudy Giuliani: Ending White House tours ‘absurd’
- Booker: Senate bid won’t be made official until after N.J. governor’s race
- Immigration reform: Senate stuck on lower-skilled workers