By August 2012, Weiner had promised the woman a job at Politico and a condo in Chicago, a place for them to meet. By November 2012, their "relationship began to fizzle out," and they spoke only once in December 2012. The two did not speak until The New York Times profile of Anthony Weiner and his family was released, and he asked her what she thought of the article via Facebook.
Anthony Weiner released a statement Tuesday afternoon, a day after the sex chat messages were revealed, and admitted that some of the allegations made were true and that he had continued sexting even after his resignation in June of 2011.
"I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have. As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress. While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I’ve apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward."
After the first scandal, the disgraced former congressman shied away from the spotlight. But Weiner, hoping for a second life in politics, announced his run for New York City mayor earlier this year. The announcement was followed by a media blitz in which Weiner and his wife Huma Abedin, a long-time aide to Hilary Clinton, appeared to talk openly about their family struggles surrounding the scandal.Updated 6:26 p.m. ET