Ordered too much Pad Thai last night? There’s an app for that!Leftover Swap is a new smartphone application that allows users to take photos of unwanted food in their fridge, name their price and wait for a hungry neighbor to arrange for a pick-up or even delivery.The app plans to deliver a clean fridge for compulsive cooks and a clean conscience for those looking for an alternative to composting. Firmly entrenched in the “better living through technology” ethos that pervades the San Francisco tech community, the app’s developers tout the social benefits of their product. The developers' website offers some startling statistics about the American appetite for overconsumption and social isolation. LeftoverSwap claims:
- 40% of the food we produce goes to waste.
- 25% of us don't know our neighbors' names.
- 70% of us are overweight.
- 16% of Americans lack enough food for a healthy lifestyle.
- 99% of us don't need a second helping of the beef lo mein.