Today's edition of quick hits:
* Indonesia: "ISIS claimed responsibility for a four-hour siege in the heart of Indonesia's capital on Thursday that killed seven people, including five attackers. The brazen daylight assault also injured 24 people as attackers detonated explosions and waged armed battles with police around a busy shopping area in downtown Jakarta."
* Iran follow-up: "The American sailors detained by Iran on Tuesday made a navigational error that mistakenly took them into Iranian territorial waters, Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter said on Thursday."
* Central America: "The Obama administration is turning to the United Nations to help screen migrants fleeing violence in Central America, senior administration officials said Tuesday, and to help set up processing centers in several Latin American countries in the hopes of stemming a flood of families crossing the southern border illegally."
* The vote in Maine's Democratic-led state House was 96 to 52: "A gambit to impeach Republican Gov. Paul LePage failed overwhelmingly in the Maine House of Representatives on Thursday afternoon after almost three hours of floor debate."
* A case worth watching: "Exactly six months after the anti-abortion group Center for Medical Progress released its first secretly recorded video accusing Planned Parenthood of trafficking in fetal tissue, the women's health provider has filed suit in a San Francisco federal district court." [Disclosure: my wife works for Planned Parenthood, but she had no role in this report and she's not involved in this case.]
* A hurricane? Now? "Amazingly, in the dead of winter, a rare hurricane is swirling in the eastern Atlantic Ocean. Alex, which was named a Subtropical Storm on Wednesday, has steadily strengthened over the past day and is making history as an extraordinarily rare January hurricane."
* How very creepy: "If you've been jonesing all day for a near perfect blend of the Florida panhandle ethos and Kremlin-youth vibes, we present to you the Freedom Kids singing a song about Donald Trump on Wednesday night in Pensacola, Florida."
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.