The man accused of scaling the White House fence and briefly entering the building before being apprehended by Secret Service agents last week now faces charges of unlawfully entering a restricted area while carrying a deadly or dangerous weapon, according to NBC News.
Omar Gonzalez, 42, of Copperas Cove, Texas, appeared Monday in federal court, where prosecutors argued that he had two hatchets, a machete and 800 rounds of ammunition in his car. Gonzalez also allegedly had a map with a circle drawn around the White House.
Prosecutors said Gonzalez was a "danger to the president." The judge ruled that Gonzalez will be held in jail without bail until another hearing on Oct. 1.
The Secret Service has yet to fully explain how Gonzalez walked from the street, onto the White House grounds and through the unlocked front door of the president’s home. The White House was evacuated briefly on Friday night, and agents and officers sprung into action with guns drawn.
The first family wasn’t home at the time of the intrusion.
During a press briefing on Monday, White House spokesman Josh Earnest made public President Obama’s feelings about the incident.
"[The president] did indicate his family lives in the White House and so he is obviously concerned," Earnest said. "At the same time, he has confidence in the Secret Service to do challenging work."
Gonzalez was charged on July 19 with evading arrest and possession of a sawed-off shotgun. On Aug. 25, he was stopped while walking outside of the White House. He had a hatchet in his rear waistband, but was not arrested, according to NBC News.
Also last week, a different intruder jumped over the 8-foot tall fence along the White House lawn and another man tried to drive through a barricade onto the grounds.