IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Police: Freddie Gray arrested for possession of switchblade

Baltimore police arrested Freddie Gray for the alleged possession of a switchblade, according to a charging document obtained by msnbc.

BALTIMORE, Maryland -- Freddie Gray, the 25-year-old black man who died of a severe spinal injury a week after being taken into police custody, was detained for the alleged possession of a switchblade, according to a charging document obtained by msnbc. 

Gray was arrested on April 12 and died a week later on April 19. The Gray family’s attorney has alleged that Gray suffered fatal injuries during his transport in police custody.

Gray "fled unprovoked upon noticing police presence," according to the document, written by Officer G. Miller. "The defendant was apprehended in the 1700 block of Presbury St. after a brief foot chase. This office noticed a knife clipped to the inside of his front right pants pocket. The defendant was arrested without force or incident. The knife was recovered by this officer and found to be a spring-assisted, one hand-operated knife. During transport to Western District via wagon transport the defendant suffered a medical emergency and was immediately transported to shock trauma via media."

The charging document was filed at 11:25 p.m. ET on April 12. A court date for the case was set for May 22, 2015, according to the document. The maximum penalty for the switchblade charge is one year in prison and a $500 fine. 

RELATED: Baltimore PD hands over Freddie Gray case to state attorney

The Baltimore Police Department has handed over its investigation of Gray's arrest and subsequent death to the state attorney’s office, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said during a press conference Thursday. The results of the investigation will not yet be made public, however.

Also at the press briefing, Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Davis revealed the location of the second of three stops during Gray's transport. Evidence of that stop had been discovered during the department’s investigation, Davis said. 

Gray, who was born August 16, 1989, was five 5 feet 8 inches tall, and he weighed 145 pounds, according to the charging document.

Below is the charging document: