IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Officer Darren Wilson breaks silence for the first time

Wilson granted his first televised interview since the shooting death of Michael Brown Jr. He spoke with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos.

In his first televised interview since the Aug. 9 shooting death of Michael Brown Jr., Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos that he was not haunted by events that transpired that day. The officer, who has been keeping a low profile since the incident, spoke one day after a St. Louis grand jury decided not to indict him.

"I don’t think it’s haunting. It’s always going to be something that happened," Wilson said of the shooting, adding "I know I did my job right."

Wilson, who was quietly married in October, also confirmed to Stephanopoulos that his wife is pregnant. Wilson said he's an average guy who spends a lot of time at home with his family, adding that he and his wife "just want to have a normal life. That's it."

Aug. 9 was the first time he had ever fired his gun in a confrontation, Wilson confirmed in the interview. He also reiterated his previous testimony, describing a struggle over his weapon, and the subsequent shots that killed Brown. When asked about witness accounts that claim Brown had turned and put his hands up in surrender, Wilson said, "No way" did that happen. Instead, Wilson said Brown charged at him.

RELATED: Ferguson prepares for more violence

When asked by Stephanopoulos if he would have acted the same way if Brown had been white, Wilson answered unequivocally, "No question."

The officer added that he paused to consider "Legally can I [shoot him]?" and concluded, "I have to. If I don’t he’s going to kill me if he gets to me." 

According to ABC News, Wilson said that he was sorry for the death, but that he wouldn’t have done anything different on that day. He added that he has a clean conscience with regard to events on Aug. 9, according to the news organization.

The St. Louis County Prosecutor’s Office released all the evidence heard in the grand jury case after Monday's announcement. The information included more than 20 images from the scene of the incident and details from autopsies conducted on Brown. Photos of Wilson’s injuries, which were taken at a hospital after the incident, were also released, as well as testimony in which he said he feared for his life.

The grand jury's decision was "very relieving," Wilson said. "A huge weight was lifted off of us. The unknown was finally known."

Brown, 18, was shot and killed by Wilson in broad daylight, following an altercation that ended with Wilson shooting the unarmed teenager at least six times, autopsies revealed. Police say Wilson, who is white, shot the black teen in self-defense after Brown reached for the officer’s gun through the window of the police car. Brown’s body was reportedly left in the street for hours before it was removed from the scene. The grand jury, which began its deliberations on Aug. 20, included six white men, three white women, two black women and one black man. A majority vote of nine was needed to indict Wilson.

RELATED: Darren Wilson married