Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush made it clear on Saturday that he would not join Donald Trump’s ticket as vice president.
“No,” Bush responded quickly when asked by a reporter in South Carolina, according to a video surfaced by The Hill. His reply was met with laughs from supporters, including South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham. “And let’s be clear,” the former Florida governor added, “I don’t think he would ask me, either.”
Bush’s remarks came as voters cast their ballots in South Carolina’s Republican presidential primary, which Trump, the GOP front-runner, was expected to win.
At numerous times on the campaign trail, Bush has been critical of Trump and said he's not a viable candidate.
In an exclusive interview with Chuck Todd on "Meet the Press" last month, he said Trump is "entertaining" and doesn't have a plan to help Americans.
"He has no proven leadership skills in the public domain," said Bush. "I'm gonna continue to be critical of him when he doesn't advocate conservative principles," Bush said. "He's running for the conservative party's nomination. He should be a conservative, and he hasn't shown it."
Trump, on the other hand, has repeatedly blasted Bush's brother, former President George W. Bush, over the war in Iraq and 9/11. During the Republican debate in South Carolina, Trump said, "The World Trade Center came down during the reign of George Bush. He kept us safe? That is not safe."