Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, campaigning in Arizona yesterday, began the Republican push to woo voters in the battleground state. Speaking to a crowd of nearly 800, Romney was asked about choosing a running mate. The former Governor said his only criteria is that the person could make a great president, offering praise for a former vice president. He said, “I was watching CSPAN, and I saw Vice President Dick Cheney and he was being asked questions about a whole host of issues-- following 9/11, the affairs in various countries in the world, and I listened to him speak and said whether you agree or disagree with him, this a man of wisdom and judgment and he could have been President of the United States. That's the kind of person I'd like to have -- a person of wisdom and judgment.”
Later, Romney was forced to address the healthcare plan he enacted as governor of Massachusetts. Many critics say the plan is similar to President Obama’s law, and one woman in the audience pressed Governor Romney to admit that his legislation was a failure. Romney responded saying, "First of all you're wrong!... It’s not Obamacare... our bill was about 8% of our population that was uninsured, nothing changed for the other 92% ... what's wrong about Obamacare is that his bill is about 100% of the people. He wants to take over healthcare for everybody--that's wrong." Romney also said President Obama cut Medicare and raised taxes through his healthcare plan.