Top story: Don't miss President Obama's speech from Minneapolis today at about 2:30 p.m. on why this country needs to strengthen its background checks.
- This trip marks the first outside D.C. for the president to sell the nation on his gun safety plan. (The Washington Post)
- “The White House picked Minneapolis as the backdrop for Obama’s remarks in part because of recent steps the city has taken to tackle gun violence, including a push for stricter background checks.” (Associated Press)
- There’s still some question whether Obama can sway Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to accept an assault weapons ban (The Fix)
- Did you see Mayors Against Illegal Guns’ anti-NRA ad during the Super Bowl? (McClatchy)
- “The bizarrest thing re: Wayne LaPierre is he's basically trying to come up with any big-government solution to violence that isn't gun laws.” (Josh Barro)
- A history of how the gun industry has turned the AR-15 into the most popularly purchased weapon today. (The New York Times)