On Monday, President Obama nominated former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel as his pick to be the next Secretary of Defense. His former GOP colleagues indicated he may face a bumpy ride through the confirmation process. Plus, new details are trickling in on the fiscal cliff showdown and the fractured relationship between the president and House Speaker John Boehner.
Here’s a look at more the headlines Last Word staffers have been checking out. Join us live at 10pm ET.
- The next fiscal cliff fight has officially begun
- McConnell on tax fight: ‘That’s over’
- Obama to nominate Hagel, Brennan for Defense and CIA positions
- Obama’s pick for Defense is an ally, and a lightning rod
- Why President Obama picked Chuck Hagel
- White House weighs broad gun control agenda in wake of Newtown shooting
- Boehner coup attempt larger than first thought
- Gun control task force may suggest database
- Hillary Clinton scheduled to return to work on Monday