After nearly two years since the failure of “grand bargain” talks between President Obama and Speaker Boehner in 2011, the first $85 billion of automatic budget cuts known as the sequester are set to kick in Friday, and there are no discussions scheduled to prevent it. President Obama heads to Virginia’s largest industrial employer on Tuesday and will visit Newport News Shipbuilding, which would be affected by cuts to naval spending.
- Boehner: Senators should get off their a**
- Poll: Majority believe cuts will drastically affect the economy and military
- Looming budget cuts create anxiety in Newport News shipyard
- One year since Trayvon Martin’s death
- Most view Republican Party as out of touch and extreme
- What’s on Senator Marco Rubio’s playlist
- Republicans sign brief in support of gay marriage