Ahead of President Obama’s big address this week, House Speaker John Boehner laid out his own vision on how to approach the economy. Spoiler alert: It doesn’t involve raising the debt ceiling.
“We’re not going to raise the debt ceiling without real cuts in spending. It’s as simple as that,” Boehner vowed Tuesday while speaking to reporters.
Boehner has repeatedly tried to use the nation’s borrowing limit as a trump card in budget discussions. Likewise, Obama has repeatedly said the debt ceiling is not up for negotiation.
Here’s are some of the stories The Last Word newsroom is currently following:
- Boehner: No debt ceiling increase without spending cuts
- Judge rules in favor of Ohio same-sex couple
- Anthony Weiner admits sexting continued after 2011 resignation from Congress
- Gov. McDonnell pays back more than $120,000 in loans
- Poll: Enzi holds big lead over Liz Cheney
- Is Stand Your Ground racially biased? George Zimmerman vs. Marissa Alexander
- O’Reilly smacks down Obama’s race speech: President has ‘no clue’ how to combat ‘gangsta culture’
- Why don’t planes have safer seat belts? Cost and comfort
- Celebrities head to White House to help roll out Obamacare
- The Weinstein Company loses appeal over ‘The Butler’ title