Anthony Weiner’s resigning. So now the media can focus on the issues again! Hurray! Here are just a few for them to choose from. And check back later for today’s Outlook and Underbuzzed.
- Pres. Obama meets with Mongolian President Elbegdorj
- Republican Leadership Conference begins in New Orleans, the victim of Republican leadership
- House continues debate on the Agriculture Appropriations bill; votes now expected this afternoon
- They couldn’t get Social Security or Medicare. So now they’re coming after Medicaid.
- Ezra Klein on why targeting Medicaid is an epically bad idea.
- Poor kids on Medicaid already suffer as it is.
- A bipartisan group in the House is holding the line on cuts to food aid.
- Food aid splits Republicans.
- GOP comes out against tax cuts AND jobs.
- More on the GOP’s newfound opposition to tax cuts and job creation.
- Poll: Americans don’t care about the deficit.
- Dems beat back efforts to cut funding for low-income aid for breast-feeding.
- Medicare’s not a target because it doesn’t save money, it’s a target because it does.
- Debt talks look at the disastrous measure of spending caps.
- Another vote today on ethanol subsidies.
- Deal near on trade pacts, relief for impacted workers.
- Two Democratic senators already pushing back against the emerging trade-deal deal.
- Poll: Americans still blame Bush more than Obama for the economy.
- Congress says they need to weigh Obama’s response on legality of Libya.
- Obama’s rationale draws skepticism from both parties.
- Admin. claims its Afghanistan surge worked.
- Bush Admin. sought private information about critical blogger.
- VIDEO: Stunning personal remarks from Rep. Hansen Clarke (D-MI) about the tragedy of our prison system.
- Congress continues to see its riches soar, while most Americans are on the decline.
WALL ST. / BANKS
- EPA chief blasts power company for its claims about regulatory impacts.
- Privately, the power company told investors the regulatory impact wasn’t a big deal.
- GOP pushing to privatize Amtrak again.
- Dionne: Even Bush would’ve done what the GOP presidential field didn’t, defend the EPA.
- The congressional rookies who vowed to cut debt have increased their own.
- The model of governance they hate so much? It’s the guiding ethos of the US military.
- Poll: America has soured on the GOP House.
- Map: Where life expectancy is going up, and going down. (Hint: Ignorance kills.)
- How Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT) got health care for all (in one of his towns).
- NC votes to defund Planned Parenthood.
- Young people look most favorably on unions, but overall approval has sunk.
- Boeing dispute puts some Dems in a tough spot.
- VIDEO: Who did Target turn to to make anti-union video? Union actors.
- NY assembly sends state Senate bill legalizing gay marriage.
- Minnesota prepares shutdown plan as budget impasse drags on.
- Chart: Who Pawlenty’s tax plan would enrich. (Hint: It ain’t you.)
- Chart: Pawlenty’s tax cuts make Bush’s look tiny.
- VIDEO: He can’t handle the truth, if it comes out in his hearings – so he tells law-enforcement officers not to speak it.
- Official considers quitting PAC over offensive ad in CA special election.
- Poll: Romney is runaway leader, but Herman Cain is runaway second-place declared candidate.
- Look at how unliked these candidates are by the people who know them best.
- Congressional Dems meet, considering stripping Weiner of his committee seats (well, this is moot!)
- Report: Weiner tells friends he will step down.
- Report: Weiner told Dem leaders last night that he would step down.
(What I’m reading: Greg Sargent’s Plum Line, Think Progress, Matt Yglesias, The Wonk Room, Talking Points Memo, TPMDC, Taegan Goddard’s Political Wire, the Washington Monthly, the National Journal, Ezra Klein, Politico’s Playbook and Huddle, Dave Weigel, Wonkette, Firedoglake, the NYT Caucus, Daily Kos, Crooks and Liars. What my iPod has me listening to: Steam by Peter Gabriel.)
Follow Senior Producer Jonathan Larsen (@jtlarsen) on Twitter