It’s pivot time. Here’s today’s Morning EDition:
- Pres. Obama holds a cabinet meeting.
- Democrats hold 11:30am news conference on the FAA shutdown.
- Pres. Obama attends DNC fundraisers in Chicago.
- Most of the Tea Party members of Congress caved on their vow to default.
- Conservative member of Congress voted against debt deal to protect her local hospital. Ya don’t say.
- White House says the debt-deal battle will frame the choices for 2012.
- Geithner argues the trigger creates powerful pressure for both parties to compromise on taxes and entitlements. Like a government default didn’t create powerful pressure?
- Could the debt deal clear the way for Geithner to clear out?
- Neither the market, nor independents are happy about the debt deal.
- Analysts see debt deal pushing US toward a recession.
- Credit-rating agency says the deal preserves America’s AAA rating.
- Moody’s and Fitch warn of possible downgrades if US doesn’t reduce debt and economy doesn’t improve.
- Summers says Obama should refuse to extend upper-income Bush tax cuts for any reason.
- Obama’s pursuit of independents appears to be hurting his standing with independents.
- House Dem Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) says her super-commission appointees will oppose entitlement cuts.
- Sen. Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) WANTED to appoint members who favor cutting entitlements, but might not due to GOP hard line. Thank you, GOP hard line.
- Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) gloats over calling Obama’s bluff.
- The GOP’s summer-recess talking points.
- NOW Wall St. figures out that the debt deal is bad for the economy. Thanks for paying attention, rich guys.
- A Democrat
More Like This
Best of MSNBC
Morning EDition: August 3, 2011