Today's installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* Just when it seemed the race for the DNC chairmanship couldn't get any bigger, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg
, widely seen as a rising star in the party, threw his hat in the ring yesterday.
* Vice President Biden offered some advice
to Donald Trump yesterday, telling the president-elect by way of a PBS interview, "Grow up, Donald. Grow up. Time to be an adult. You're president."
* As Rachel highlighted on the show last night, Senate Republicans have scheduled at least six
cabinet-nominee confirmations hearings for Wednesday, Jan. 11, hoping to deny too much attention to any one person.
* After CNN reported
that Trump will still try to build his border wall, but he intends to have American taxpayers pick up the tab, the president-elect said on Twitter this morning he'll get Mexico to pay for the wall "later
* Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) said yesterday he's "very likely
" to take on Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) in next year's Senate race in the Lone Star State.
* Complicating matters, Matthew Dowd, an ABC News pundit and former George W. Bush strategist, conceded he's also eyeing the race, telling
the Texas Tribune
, "I am giving it some thought, and I appreciate the interest of folks."
* In Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer, a former Democratic legislative leader, launched
her gubernatorial campaign this week, in what will likely be a crowded party primary. Term limits will prevent incumbent Gov. Rick Snyder (R) from seeking a third term. read more