Today’s edition of quick hits:
* I’d love more information about this: “Senior defense officials tell NBC News that out of 26 cruise missiles launched off Russian warships, four landed in Iran, well short of their Syrian targets. The officials report that all four missiles launched from the Russian ships in the Caspian Sea impacted in a remote, rural area of Iran and there were apparently no casualties.”
* Chaos: “The sudden decision Thursday by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) to withdraw from the speaker’s race thrust congressional Republicans into chaos and left the contest wide open, with a crowd of lesser-known players jockeying for power and rank-and-file members fretting that the political unrest on the hard right that drove McCarthy and House Speaker John A. Boehner away from the position has left the party unmanageable in the lower chamber.”
* “I’m sure they’ll find somebody who is capable of accepting the honor,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters.
* Oklahoma: “An autopsy report shows that correctional officials used the wrong drug in the January execution of Charles Warner, the first prisoner put to death in Oklahoma since the state botched the lethal injection of another inmate last year.”
* Related news: “A Montana judge ruled Tuesday that the state’s method of lethal injection is unlawful because it uses a drug that fails to meet the law’s requirement for ‘ultra-fast-acting.’”
* Ugh: “Media tycoon Rupert Murdoch apologized for his Wednesday night tweet, which suggested that President Barack Obama is not a ‘real black president.’”
* Oh, Florida, what are we going to do with you: “Police say a Florida man set up fake job interviews and even collected urine samples from potential applicants, so he could access their Social Security numbers, bank information and other personal data.”
* Every media professional who took (or still takes) this guy seriously should be pretty embarrassed: “[Drudge Report founder Matt Drudge] said that the Obama administration began referring to the Islamic State as ‘ISIS’ so that the group would be confused with Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), the former chairman of the House Oversight Committee.”
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.
More Like This
Best of MSNBC
Thursday's Mini-Report, 10.8.15