, we offer this page as a place to discuss the Republican race in Iowa.As MSNBC extends its special coverage of the Iowa caucus with a two-hour preview show hosted by Rachel Maddow and Brian Williams beginning at 8pm ET on Sunday, and live rolling coverage on Monday from 6pm to well past midnight,
The latest Des Moines Register/Bloomberg poll results:
- Trump 28% (+6)
- Cruz 23% (-2)
- Rubio 15% (+3)
- Carson 10% (-1)
- Paul 5% (unchanged)
- Christie 3% (unchanged)
- Bush 2
- Fiorina 2
- Huckabee 2
- Kasich 2|
- Santorum 2
- Gilmore -
Fresh Republican headlines:
- New polls shed light on upcoming 2016 fight
- Video: Trump’s final pitch to Iowa voters
- Pressed on health care, Cruz comes up short
- Media hype creates strange expectations for Rubio
- On Caucus Day, latest polls show close Republican race
- Video: Carson to voters: ‘Listen to your heart’
- Koch brothers’ network considering anti-Trump Ccmpaign
- Bush hits Rubio on the air, Trump on the ground in Iowa runup
- Reveling in newfound relevance, Kasich faces fire
- Video: Rand Paul Counts on Youth Vote
Iowa Caucuses - Historical Context (compiled by Steve Benen)
- In the modern era, cycles in which there were competitive caucuses in both parties at the same time are surprisingly common. It happened in 1976, 1980, 1988, 2000, 2008, and now 2016.
- Among Iowa Democrats, voters have sided with the eventual nominee five times (1980, 1984, 2000, 2004, and 2008), but the eventual president just once (2008).
- Among Iowa Republicans, voters have sided with the eventual nominee four times (1976, 1996, 2000, and 2004), but the eventual president just once (2000).
- Among Iowa Democrats, the worst-ever showing for an eventual nominee was third place (Dukakis in 1988).
- Among Iowa Republicans, the worst-ever showing for an eventual nominee was fourth place (McCain in 2008).
- Among Democrats, only two candidates won Iowa and New Hampshire in the same cycle (Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004). Among Republicans, no candidate has ever won both Iowa and New Hampshire in the same cycle.
More Like This
Best of MSNBC
Republican Primary - Iowa Caucus open thread