When addressing parliament, it is the rare national leader who takes time out to upbraid his own citizens for outdoor urination. But then, 82 year old Cuban president Raul Castro was in rare form on Sunday, when his speech to the ruling body turned into All The Reasons Grampa Is Disappointed in You.
According to the Miami Herald: “Castro aired a laundry list of complaints about illegal activities that he said do the country harm: unauthorized home construction, illicit logging and slaughter of livestock and the acceptance of bribes, to name a few….He also fulminated against baser examples of “social indiscipline”: shouting and swearing in the streets, public drinking and drunk driving, dumping trash on the roadside and even people who relieve themselves in parks.”
Said Castro: “When I meditate on these regrettable displays, it makes me think that despite the undeniable educational achievements made by the Revolution … we have taken a step back in citizens’ culture and public spirit. I have the bitter sensation that we are a society ever more educated, but not necessarily more enlightened.”
These kids today, am-I-right?
President Castro offered these other examples of “social indiscipline”:
- People showing up late to work.
- Graffiti and vandalizing of parks, monuments, trees and gardens.
- Loud music that disturbs neighbors’ sleep.
- Raising pigs in cities despite the public health risk.
- Scavenging metal from phone and electrical lines, sewers, signs and traffic lights.
- Fare evasion on public transportation.
- Failure to comply with school dress codes, and teachers who accept bribes for higher grades.
- Lack of deference to the elderly, pregnant women, mothers with small children and the disabled.
- Children throwing rocks at cars and trains.
And the Struggle continues…