Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Greece: “Alexis Tsipras, the leftist political maverick who swept to power on Sunday in Greece in a popular rebellion, formed a new coalition government on Monday with a right-wing fringe party that will charge immediately into the task of reversing wrenching austerity policies and negotiating with European leaders to reduce Greece’s debt burden.”
* Yemen: “A C.I.A. drone strike on Monday on a car in eastern Yemen, the first since the resignation of President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi, killed three suspected Qaeda fighters, American officials said, in a signal that the United States will continue its targeted killing operations in the country despite the apparent takeover by Houthi fighters.”
* A new thing for the Secret Service to worry about: “The owner of a drone that landed on the White House grounds early Monday told authorities that he was testing how it would perform in bad weather but lost track of it, law enforcement sources told NBC News. The drone’s owner, who is cooperating with a Secret Service investigation, said that he did not realize it had landed in a tree on the lawn of the White House until he saw news reports describing the incident, the sources said.”
* Espionage: “A banker and two diplomats were charged Monday with spying for the Russian government in the New York area, using coded messages and secret handoffs to gather intelligence and send it back home.”
* Leak case: “Jeffrey A. Sterling, a former Central Intelligence Agency officer, was convicted of espionage charges Monday, for telling a journalist for The New York Times about a secret operation to disrupt Iran’s nuclear program.”
* Marriage news from late Friday: “A federal judge in Mobile, Alabama, today struck down the state’s ban on same-sex marriage, bringing the number of gay marriage states to 37…. The judge did not put a hold on the effect of her ruling, but the state’s attorney general, Luther Strange, said he would seek one.”
* Wilderness designation for ANWR: “President Obama will ask Congress to increase environmental protections for millions of acres of pristine animal habitat in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, in a move that has already led to fierce opposition from the state’s Republican lawmakers.”
* By now, everyone has heard the “good guy with a gun” line from the NRA. It’s worth taking the time to understand why the adage is wrong.
* I don’t want to alarm anyone, but it appears Newt Gingrich sometimes says things that aren’t true: “Gingrich parrots debunked right-wing smear about Hillary Clinton and Boko Haram.”
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.