Today’s installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* In 1964, Democrats put together a classic ad called “Confessions of a Republican,” featuring a GOP voter who just couldn’t bring himself to vote for an extremist like Barry Goldwater. This morning, the Clinton campaign unveiled a bookend ad, featuring literally the exact same man a half-century later, this time talking about Trump.
* On “60 Minutes” last night, Lesley Stahl mentioned in passing that Donald Trump is “not known to be a humble man.” Before she could continue, the presidential hopeful interrupted to say, “I think I am, actually humble. I think I’m much more humble than you would understand.”
* After Trump chose Mike Pence as his running mate, he flew home to Indiana, where the governor was greeted by a rather modest group of supporters. The Hoosier delivered brief remarks to a hangar that was reportedly two-thirds empty.
* The much-derided Trump/Pence logo has been scrubbed from the campaign’s website and no longer appears in campaign materials. It lasted one day.
* Hillary Clinton will reportedly announce her running mate this Friday at an event in Florida. The Republican National Convention wraps up the day before.
* In Missouri, PPP shows Trump leading Clinton comfortably in the former battleground state, 46% to 36%.
* Of far greater interest, however, is Missouri’s U.S. Senate race, in which PPP shows incumbent Sen. Roy Blunt (R) ahead by only three points, 41% to 38%, over Secretary of State Jason Kander (D).
* There’s apparently some chatter about former Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) being willing to challenge Trump at the convention for the Republican nomination. My advice: don’t expect anything to come of this.
* And Trump apparently wanted Don King to have a role at the Republican convention, and the candidate kept “pressing the matter.” Eventually, party officials explained to Trump that King “once stomped a man to death and was convicted of manslaughter.”
More Like This
Best of MSNBC
Monday's Campaign Round-Up, 7.18.16