Today’s installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* In the Democrats Abroad primary, the results of which were announced this morning, Bernie Sanders was the big winner, picking up nine pledged delegates to Hillary Clinton’s four. In terms of net delegate gains, that makes today Sanders’ best day since March 5.
* Violence at Donald Trump’s campaign events continues to be a very serious problem, including a confrontation between supporters and hecklers at an Arizona event over the weekend.
* In a separate incident, a clip made the rounds on Saturday showing Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski confronting a young protester at the rally. Though the video suggests Lewandowski grabbed the protester’s collar, the campaign manager denied it.
* In Utah, which will host its presidential caucuses tomorrow, a Deseret News/KSL poll shows Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders as the strong favorites in their respective contests.
* The same poll found that in a hypothetical general election match-up, Trump would trail both Sanders and Hillary Clinton in Utah, though given the state’s political leanings, I suspect that would change as November drew closer.
* Though John Kasich initially suggested he might also consider nominating Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court, the Ohio Republican walked that back yesterday.
* Hillary Clinton’s campaign crossed the 1 million donor threshold late last week. The Sanders campaign responded soon after that it’s nearing the 2 million mark.
* Politico reports that Democratic senators, who’ve generally had very few criticisms of Sanders as the Democratic race has unfolded, are now “gently calling on Sanders to face the reality that there’s almost no chance he’s going to be the Democratic nominee.”
* Kasich said over the weekend that “under no circumstances” would he serve as Trump’s running mate. Asked about a possible pairing with Ted Cruz, the governor added that there’s “absolutely” no chance of that happening, either.
More Like This
Best of MSNBC
Monday's Campaign Round-Up, 3.21.16