Today’s installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) troubles with her party’s base continue: over the weekend, the longtime incumbent came up far short when trying to secure the endorsement of the California Democratic Party.
* Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) generally isn’t considered one of this year’s vulnerable incumbents, but it’s worth noting that his rival, Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D), has so far raised $8 million for his campaign. Indeed, since Jan. 1, O’Rourke’s fundraising haul has tripled Cruz’s.
* Speaking of the Lone Star State, early voting in Texas’ primary races suggests there’s been a surge of interest among Democratic voters.
* In Donald Trump’s Fox News interview on Saturday night, host Jeanine Pirro mentioned the president’s approval rating four times, assuring viewers that his support is “soaring.” It’s not. The new CNN poll shows Trump’s approval rating dropping to just 35%, while a new USA Today/Suffolk poll puts the president’s support at 38%.
* At the winter meeting of the National Governors Association, Republicans didn’t seem especially eager to offer support to Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens (R), who was indicted last week on charges stemming from his sex scandal.
* Asked if she regrets saying mass murderers are Democrats, Rep. Claudia Tenney (R-N.Y.) said, “Not at all. Don’t regret…. No. Of course not.”
* The Fresno Bee asked House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) about whether he’ll hold any town-hall hearings ahead of this year’s election. The Republican responded that his hometown newspaper is “a joke” and “a left-wing rag.”
* Not surprisingly, Laura Moser, a Democratic congressional candidate in Houston, is now benefiting from the criticisms she’s received from the DCCC.
* And just when it seemed this race couldn’t get any weirder, not only is Shannon Edwards, former Rep. Tim Murphy’s (R-Pa.) mistress, running for Congress as a Republican, she’s also facing accusations from her husband that she’s threatened to kill him – more than once. Edwards’ husband is now seeking a divorce.