* Maybe someone could give Boehner a list of the election results along with an explanation ofwhat “democracy” means: “House Republicans emerged from a closed-door meeting on Friday with no new strategy to end the budget standoff and an angry plea to President Obama to negotiate over his health care law.”
* Tropical Storm Karen ”weakened in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday after disrupting U.S. energy output on its way to drenching the coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.”
* Maybe someone should do something: “Federal food aid for low-income Americans could dwindle if the government shutdown drags into the next month–leaving the states in charge of deciding to cut off benefits altogether or to dig into local coffers to feed the needy.”
* The “previous question” tactic was a long shot: “House Republicans on Friday stood firm against a move by Democrats to call up the Senate’s continuing resolution funding the government.”
* GOP lawmakers were for clean continuing resolutions before they were against them.
* Even now, after his 21-hour speech and weeks of activism, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) genuinely believes Americans are so easily fooled, they should blame Democrats for the shutdown.
* Dear Orrin, Lew isn’t the only threatening default, your party is and you need to keep up: “Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) is accusing Treasury Secretary Jack Lew of creating ‘needless panic’ in financial markets over the debt ceiling. In a letter sent to Lew Friday, Hatch argued that the Treasury’s pronouncements about the dangers of default were ‘irresponsible’ and are spooking markets.”
* Scary thought: “Senate Democrats warned Friday that the ongoing government shutdown could produce a disease outbreak as federal regulators operate at diminished capacity. Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Chairman Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) joined colleagues to highlight the shutdown’s effect on public health agencies, which Harkin described as ‘closed for all practical purposes.’”
* And Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month this morning by asking a Nicaraguan co-host: “You grew up on tacos, correct?” No, I’m afraid he wasn’t kidding.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.