Need to catch up on this morning’s news? Here are today’s top stories:
1. Despite Donald Trump’s insistence to the contrary, the Latino community was offended by Trump’s comments about Mexican immigrants. According to a new NBC News/ Wall Street Journal/ Telemundo poll, three out of four Latinos have a negative view on the GOP front runner and more than half believe his comments were racist and inappropriate.
2. Don’t count Joe Biden out quite yet. Josh Alcorn, a senior adviser to Joe Biden’s late son Beau, is joining the Draft Biden Super PAC to lay the financial groundwork for a potential presidential bid. The goal of the Draft Biden movement is to take what is now a primarily online campaign to new financial heights to prove to the VP that the country is ready for him.
3. President Obama will announce a giant stride in the fight against climate change on Monday. If it overcomes legal and legislative battles, the “final rule” would be the first to limit the amount of carbon power plants can pump into the atmosphere.
4. Following the tragic Saturday night shooting of Officer Sean Bolton, a Memphis police officer, a manhunt has been launched for the alleged shooter, 29-year-old Tremaine Wilbourn. The suspect is still on the run and considered armed and dangerous.
5. A second American has been named in the killing of a Zimbabwean lion. Jan Seski, a Pennsylvania-based cancer doctor, allegedly killed a lion. Wildlife officials say his local-based guide “hunted without a quota and a permit.”
In case you missed it…
- Cecil the lion, among other endangered animals, lit up the Empire State Building on Saturday night. (Huffington Post)
- Start practicing your best blue steel: Paramount Pictures officially released the first trailer for Ben Stiller’s Zoolander 2. (Mic)
- There are people who think waterboarding sounds severe and then there is Donald Trump. (Vox)
- Chicago-based music festival, Lollapalooza, was evacuated for a brief period of time on Sunday due to a storm. (Rolling Stone)
- Following an explosion of social media posts claiming that Jessica Alba’s Honest Company’s sunscreen doesn’t work, the company issued a public response. (People)
- On this day in 1958, U.S. nuclear submarine Nautilus accomplished the first undersea voyage to the geographic North Pole. (History)