We’re halfway through the week! Here are some of the top news stories to help you get caught up on the news this morning:
- The Texas Department of Public Safety on Tuesday released a 52-minute dashcam video showing the heated traffic stop that ended in Sandra Bland’s arrest. The video shows the officer, Brian Encinia, pulling his Taser on Bland and yelling, “Get out of the car! I will light you up!” before she exits the vehicle.
- President Obama made his latest appearance on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart last night, as Stewart prepares to end his run as host next week.
- E.L. Doctorow, the author best known for his novel “Ragtime,” which was made into a motion picture which starred James Cagney and was nominated for eight Academy Awards in 1981, passed away Tuesday in New York. He was 84.
- Cincinnati authorities are investigating the fatal police shooting of an unarmed man in Cincinnati on Sunday night.
- An anti-abortion group has released the second of what it says are will be a series of secretly recorded videos of abortion providers and Planned Parenthood.
And in case you missed it:
A new report shows that more and more poor kids in the United States are falling behind in reading. (Slate)
Fun fact: bears like to take naps after big meals as well. This bear did after eating 20 pounds of dog food. (msnbc)
Why Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj are in a big feud. (Vox)
Meet the guy who’s been eating Chipotle every day for more than 100 days in a row. (ABC News)
Happy second birthday to Prince George! Take a look at some of his cutest photos of his first two years. (Entertainment Tonight)
Sharknado fans, rejoice! Sharknado 3 premieres on Syfy tonight at 9/8c. (SyFy)