Toronto Mayor Rob Ford pauses while participating in a mayoral debate in Toronto, July 15, 2014.
Photo by Darren Calabrese/AP

Rob Ford drops out of Toronto mayor’s race

Updated

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s roller coaster re-election bid has officially come to a stop.

The Canadian lawmaker – who was propelled into the global spotlight for his self-admitted crack cocaine use and drunken shenanigans – will instead hand the baton over to his brother, Doug, to take his place in the mayoral race.

Ford will now run for a council seat instead of mayor.

“With the advice of my family and doctors I know I need to focus on getting better. There is much work to be done and I can’t give it my all at this point in time. My heart is heavy when I tell you that I’m unable to continue my campaign for re-election,” he said in a statement, adding that the details of his medical issues are still unknown. Ford also said it was an “honor and a privilege” to serve Toronto residents.

The announcement comes after the 45-year-old was admitted to a hospital earlier this week for a suspected tumor in his abdomen. 

Ford became comedic fodder for late night television after getting caught on video last fall smoking crack cocaine, refusing to resign, using profane language and dancing to reggae – more than once – at council meetings.

The mayor’s ex-staffers told authorities Ford was intoxicated at work, drank under the influence, used racist language, made a sexual proposition to a female staffer, and and philandered with suspected prostitiutes.

Despite his troubles, Ford decided to run for re-election, even after the city council took away most of his power. He went to rehab for drugs and alcohol and had returned to work in June.

Explore:

Rob Ford

Rob Ford drops out of Toronto mayor's race

Updated