Need to catch up on the morning’s news? Here are today’s top stories:
1. Beijing will be the host of the 2022 Winter Olympics, making it the first city to host both the summer and winter games. The other finalist considered for the games was Almaty, Kazakhstan. China managed to win despite concerns over the lack of natural snow and the distance between the venues.
2. Officer Ray Tensing, the University of Cincinnati police officer who shot Samuel Dubose in the head during a routine traffic stop, pleaded “not guilty” at his arraignment hearing on Thursday. He posted bond later that day. The altercation was caught on Tensing’s body camera.
3. Officials are eyeing the trash washing up on the shores of Reunion Island as possible evidence in the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370. This comes after a piece of debris was found near the island, in the Indian Ocean, which sources confirmed is from a Boeing 777, the same as the missing airplane.
4. Hillary Clinton’s campaign escalated its confrontation with The New York Times by making a public a 2,000-word letter that it sent to The Times. The letter claims that the newspaper made “egregious” errors in a recent story that reported that Clinton was flagged for a criminal investigation.
5. A map obtained by NBC News from the NSA shows the Chinese’s government plan to launch a massive cyber assault on various sectors of the U.S. economy, including firms like Google and Lockheed Martin, but also the U.S. government and military.
In case you missed it:
- After various controversial videos that attempted to expose Planned Parenthood, the company is aggressively pushing back. (Huffington Post)
- The Internet’s curiosity has been peaked by an infographic, created by former U.K. pharmacist Niraj Naik, known as the Renegade Pharmacist, which shows the effects of Coca Cola on your body. (The Blaze)
- Philae, a small European Space Agency probe, found organic molecules on a comet. (The New York Times)
- You won’t be able to complain about the heat after hearing this: an Iranian city hit a heat index of 154 degrees. (Washington Post)
- In the midst of rumblings about a possible revival of the TV cult classic, “Xena: Warrior Princess,” the stars of the show, Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor, posted a reunion Instagram selife. (Entertainment Weekly)
- A New Jersey officer saved a small child left in a hot van at a store parking lot. (NJ.com)