Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks at an event at Elks Lodge in Salem, N.H., on Feb. 8, 2016.
Photo by Mark Peterson/Redux for MSNBC

Major golf tournament leaving Trump for Mexico

Updated

The PGA Tour will be moving a major golf tournament from Donald Trump’s Miami-area course to Mexico City.  

And isn’t it ironic, don’t you think?

The presumptive Republican nominee declared in his first speech as a presidential candidate that some Mexicans are criminals and rapists. It was the first time Trump mentioned his now-infamous wall, which he promised – and continues to promise – to build on the United States’ southern border. But the decision to move the World Golf Championships (WGC) event from Trump National Doral in Miami, which had been the home of the event for more than 50 years, to Mexico has nothing to do with politics, according to the PGA Tour commissioner.

“The decision made here was based on the reality that we were not able to secure sponsorship for next year’s WGC at Doral or for out years for that matter,” Commissioner Tim Finchem said in a press conference Wednesday. “From a golf standpoint, we have no issues with Donald Trump. From a political standpoint, we are neutral. The PGA Tour has never been involved or cares to be involved in presidential politics. I had an involvement in presidential politics, but that was over 30 years ago, and this is not a political decision.” The new WGC-Mexico tournament will debut next March.

RELATED: Trump’s climate concerns are limited to his golf courses

The PGA Tour reportedly lost its sponsorship with Cadillac and is partnering with Grupo Salinas for a seven-year deal. 

Trump hit back at the decision on Wednesday, calling it a “sad day for Miami, the United States and the game of golf.” He also brought up the move during a rally in Sacramento rally, saying, “it’s all going to be settled” if the billionaire developer is elected.

Appearing on Fox News a day earlier, Trump seemed to have broken the news himself. “I just heard that the PGA Tour is taking their tournament out of Miami and moving it to Mexico,” Trump said. “They’re moving it to Mexico City – which, by the way, I hope they have kidnapping insurance.”

Echoing his father, Eric Trump called the move “sad” on Fox News Thursday morning.

“It’s a shame. It plays into my father’s whole narrative just jobs lost going down to mexico,” Trump’s son said. “Here’s a tournament that contributed hundreds and hundreds of dollars to south Florida. It’s very sad … it’s sad to see more jobs more money something that people have enjoyed for a long time leave this country.”

Professional golfer Rory McIlroy joked about it when asked during a press conference at the Memorial Tournament Wednesday. “It’s quite ironic that we’re going to Mexico after being at Doral,” he said. “We’ll just jump over the wall.”

According to Trump’s financial disclosures released last month, the business mogul’s single largest listed source of income is resort and golf revenue from this Trump golf course, at a claimed $132 million income.

The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, 4/11/16, 10:56 PM ET

Campaign Reality Check: Mexico & Trump's wall

Lawrence talks to Jordan Weissmann, a senior business and economics correspondent for Slate, about the specifics of Donald Trump’s plan to get Mexico to pay for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Donald Trump

Major golf tournament leaving Trump for Mexico

Updated