Families of the 26 people fatally shot at Sandy Hook Elementary School have created a website, MySandyHookFamily.org, honoring each child and educator who died last year on Dec. 14.
Krista Rekos and JoAnn Bacon, who each lost a daughter in the tragedy, spoke Monday ahead of the one-year mark on behalf of the families. They suggested that Americans mark the date of the tragedy with acts of kindness such as volunteering at community charitable organizations.
“We hope that some small measure of good will be able to be returned to the world,” Bacon, whose daughter Charlotte was killed in the massacre, said at a press conference in Newtown.
Many of the victims’ parents, children and siblings said they will light a candle this Friday on the eve of Dec. 14 to remember their loved ones. But the town as a whole will not mark the anniversary with any public event, and has asked for privacy on that painful day.