The developer behind Donald Trump’s effort to revamp Washington, D.C.’s Old Post Office Pavilion into the $200 million Trump International Hotel is suing chef José Andrés for a whopping $10 million for breach of contract.
After Trump’s presidential announcement in June, in which the current GOP front-runner delivered trademark incendiary statements about Mexican immigrants “bringing crime” and “bringing drugs,” Andrés cut ties with Trump and refused to follow through with his 10-year plan to open a Spanish restaurant in the future Trump hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue.
“Donald Trump’s recent statements disparaging immigrants make it impossible for my company and I to move forward with opening a successful Spanish restaurant in Trump International’s upcoming hotel in Washington, D.C.,” the Spanish-born chef said in a statement to msnbc after the business split. “More than half of my team is Hispanic, as are many of our guests. And, as a proud Spanish immigrant and recently naturalized American citizen myself, I believe that every human being deserves respect, regardless of immigration status.”
The lawsuit, which was filed on Friday, contends that Andrés’ breach of contract resulted in millions of dollars in damages for Trump’s developer, according to NBC Washington.
“Mr. Andrés’ offense is curious in light of the fact that Mr. Trump’s publicly shared views on immigration have remained consistent for many years, and Mr. Trump’s willingness to frankly share his opinions is widely known,” the lawsuit said.
According to the suit, Andrés claimed that Trump violated his side of the agreement by touting his offensive personal views in the June speech, and called for an end to Trump’s brazen remarks. Trump’s developer fired back, alleging that Andrés has no right to back out based on his “offended feelings.”
Earlier this month, Trump filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision over the network’s decision to cut ties with Trump’s Miss USA pageant.