This is day three of the Nerdland Scholar Challenge, led by Melissa Harris-Perry. You can sign up here.
Why should women have the right to vote? Alice Stone Blackwell offered up 16 reasons in her publication “Why Women Should Vote.” They included:
- It would make it easier to achieve “the moral, educational and humane legislation desire by women”
- To fix laws unjust to women
- To create fair treatment of women in public service
- To secure legislation for the protection of children
- It would “help those women who need help the most”
- To ensure only men “of respectable character” are nominated
Assignment: Scan the full list here and reflect. Did women winning the right to vote actually create the changes Blackwell predicted?