The number of Boston College students stricken with stomach symptoms grew to 80 on Tuesday, and all say they ate at a nearby Chipotle restaurant.
Although many of the students said they feared they’d been struck with the same E. coli bacteria that made 52 people in nine states sick this fall, Chipotle officials say they doubt it’s E. coli this time.
“Health officials in Boston believe this is likely a norovirus, which seems consistent with the pattern, in our estimation,” Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold told NBC News.
Chipotle said it had voluntarily closed the restaurant in the Brighton section of the city.
“All 80 students have confirmed that they ate at the Chipotle Restaurant in Cleveland Circle during the weekend,” Boston College said in a statement.
“All have been tested for both E. coli and the norovirus. Test results will not be available for at least two days.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it’s still not sure what particular food caused the E. coli outbreak at Chipotle. A separate E. coli outbreak that’s made 19 people sick in seven states was linked to celery sold at Costco, 7-11, King Sooper and other stores.
Symptoms of both illnesses are similar — diarrhea, stomach cramps and fever. But norovirus is far more likely than E. coli to cause vomiting.
Shares of Chipotle slipped $9.98, or 1.8 percent, to $541.77 in midday trading Tuesday. Its shares have fallen about 28 percent from their all-time high of $758.61 achieved in August.