Afghan security forces and British soldiers inspect the site of a suicide attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug. 22, 2015. The bomber attacked a NATO convoy, killing at least 10 people, including three NATO contractors. 
Photo by Massoud Hossaini/AP

Afghan suicide bomb kills 12, including three Americans

At least 12 people, including three American contractors, were killed Saturday when a suicide car bomber attacked a NATO convoy in Afghanistan’s capital. Dozens of people were also wounded.

The Taliban denied it was behind the Kabul attack. Wahidullah Mayar, a Health Ministry spokesman, told the Associated Press that 66 people were wounded in the attack in the crowded Macrorayan neighborhood.

In a statement, NATO said three civilian contractors had been killed, one instantly, and two of wounds sustained from the bombing, which happened at about 4:20 p.m. local time.

RELATED: Afghanistan conflict: Highest number of women, kids killed, wounded on record

While no group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, the Taliban has stepped up it assaults on Afghan security forces since the U.S. and NATO ended their combat mission. Earlier this month, a Taliban attack near Kabul’s airport killed an American soldier and eight Afghan contractors.

Saturday’s attack destroyed at least one armored vehicle in the convoy.

This story originally appeared on NBCNews.com

Middle East and War On Terror

Afghan suicide bomb kills 12, including three Americans