This Sunday on Melissa Harris-Perry, the debate. We are less than a week away before the Republican presidential hopefuls hit the debate stage for the first time in a fight for the presidency. We discuss the candidates, the question of strategy, and how the ‘winner of the games’ will be determined by the media and the public.
Joining Melissa Harris-Perry to discuss the debate:
- Robert Traynham, MSNBC Contributor
- Farai Chideya, Professor of Journalism, NYU
- Michelle Goldberg, senior contributing writer, The Nation
Also on MHP, Planned Parenthood. The Senate could vote tomorrow on a bill to strip Planned Parenthood of federal funding. This comes after an anti-abortion group released videos showing Planned Parenthood staff discussing how tissue from aborted fetuses is provided for medical research.We discuss the ways in which Planned Parenthood is now being used as a political strategy and how whether the push to defund Planned Parenthood could lead to a government shutdown.
Be sure to check out these interesting reads related to the discussion:
- Judge Blocks Anti-Abortion Group From Releasing More Planned Parenthood Videos
- Planned Parenthood and the barbarity of America
- Hillary Clinton Defends Planned Parenthood After Sting Videos
- Planned Parenthood Controversy Raises Questions About Fetal Tissue Research
- The Campaign of Deception Against Planned Parenthood
Then, the death of Cecil the Lion. Moments after Cecil’s death was reported, many called for justice and the end of big game hunting in Africa. We explore the connection between animal and human rights and the emotions sparked by the death of this beloved lion.
All that plus, the latest on Bill Cosby. Then, traveling while black. We discuss the complexities of black and LGBTQ identity abroad. Joining #nerdland is Evita Robinson, creator, Nomadness Travel Tribe, Billy Kolber, founder, ManAboutWorld Magazine and Frankie Edozien, director, Reporting Africa Program, NYU Journalism School.
Be sure to read what we’ve linked above, and watch Melissa Harris-Perry Sunday at 10am ET on msnbc. Join the conversation—share your thoughts about these issues on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #nerdland.