This Sunday in #nerdland: Black Lives Matters receives endorsements for a town hall on racial justice, the Ferguson Effect myth, a new coalition to cut down mass incarceration, Trump loses bragging rights, a string of church fires in St. Louis, and Drake’s Hotline Bling.
The Black Lives Matter movement is growing and it’s recently received the go ahead from political parties on both sides of the aisle for a Presidential Town Hall on the issue of racial justice. Why is this a familiar moment in history?
F.B.I Director James Comey is the latest to argue that scrutiny of police officers has attributed to a rise in crime. Melissa talks to her panel about the lack of data supporting the so called “Ferguson Effect” theory.
Then a fight to cut down the prison population and you won’t believe who’s at the helm. More than a hundred of the nation’s top police chiefs and prosecutors joined forces in a coalition centered on the idea that putting too many people behind bars doesn’t really keep the public safe.
Recently a string of fires have been set at seven churches in St. Louis. While investigators search for a suspect and a motive, the fires spark memories of the Civil Rights Movement.
It looks like Donald Trump might need to start looking over his shoulder when it comes to bragging about polls. The most recent Quinnipiac Poll shows Carson surpassing Trump for the first time.
Plus we hope you turn your phone’s ringtone up as we take a look into the internet phenomenon that is Drake’s Hotline Bling music video.
Joining our Sunday morning conversation will be:
- Alicia Garza, Co-Creator “Black Lives Matter”
- DeRay McKesson, Wetheprotestors.org
- Joy Reid, MSNBC National Correspondent, Author, “Fracture”
- Patrick Murray, Director, Monmouth University Polling Institute
- Maria Hinojosa, Latino USA on National Public Radio
- Benjamin David, District Attorney, New Hanover County & Pender County, North Carolina
- Marquez Claxton, Director, Black Law Enforcement Alliance
- John Parks, Attorney, Parks and Crump Representing the family of Corey Jones
- Gian-Carlo Peressuti, Fmr. Press Secretary to President George H.W. Bush
- Antonio French, Alderman of The 21st Ward in St. Louis
- Mychal Denzel Smith, Contributing Writer, TheNation.com
- Rembert Browne, Senior Writer, Grantland
To prep for our discussions, feel free to check out:
- DNC and RNC give their blessings to Black Lives Matter presidential town hall
- Black Lives Matter Publishes ‘Campaign Zero’ Plan To Reduce Police Violence
- Law Enforcement Coming Together To Call for End to Mass Incarceration
- Obama defends Black Lives Matter movement
- F.B.I. Chief Links Scrutiny of Police With Rise in Violent Crime
- 7 St. Louis churches set on fire in 2 weeks
- Donald Trump Goes on Attack After Iowa Poll Shows Decline
- Drake: Rapper, Actor, Meme
Be sure to read what we’ve linked above, and watch Melissa Harris-Perry Sunday at 10am ET on MSNBC. Join the conversation—share your thoughts about these issues on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #nerdland.