Today's installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* As Rachel reported
on the show last night, the new national PPP poll shows Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by four percentage points, both in a four-way contest and in a head-to-head match-up.
* The latest PPP results
also show Clinton up by six in Colorado (46% to 40%), two in Florida (45% to 43%), two in North Carolina (44% to 42%), six in Pennsylvania (45% to 39%), and six in Virginia (46% to 40%), In each case, these results reflect Clinton's advantage in four-way contests.
* The editorial board of the Detroit News
has "backed a Republican every time it has made a presidential endorsement" since the paper's founding in 1873. This year, however, it's backing
Libertarian Gary Johnson over Donald Trump.
* Trump's campaign manager, KellyAnne Conway, argued last night that Trump isn't receiving enough credit for referring to Clinton as "Secretary Clinton
" during this week's debate.
* Employees at a Trump golf resort in California claim he wanted to fire women employees
he considered insufficiently pretty. A separate report yesterday also noted an instance in which Trump said he hired an unqualified young woman
for a job because he thought she was "hot."
* Newt Gingrich, a prominent Trump surrogate, is now going after
former Miss Universe Alicia Machado's weight and spreading conspiracy theories
about Clinton receiving the debate questions in advance of Monday night's event.
* Though South Carolina is likely to remain a "red" state, a new Winthrop University poll shows Trump leading Clinton in a four-way race by just six points
, 42% to 38%. read more