Today's installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* In national polling, the new NBC News/Survey Monkey tracking poll
and the latest CNN poll
both show Hillary Clinton with five-point leads over Donald Trump.
* As a result of Utah's newfound status as a competitive state, Tim Kaine has a new op-ed
in the Deseret News
today, and his Republican counterpart, Mike Pence, is headed to Utah
today for a campaign event.
* With increasing frequency, what voters hear from Trump is quite different
from what they hear from Trump's campaign manager. On a related note, Kellyanne Conway would also like voters to pay less attention
to what her boss says on Twitter.
* Trump believes he's been "conceptually
" endorsed by the United States military, which doesn't make any sense.
* The American Bar Association has reportedly finished a report on Trump using litigation to silence his critics, but the ABA doesn't want to publish it
-- because, ironically, it's afraid Trump might file a lawsuit.
* In Nevada, a poll
from the Sheldon Adelson-owned Las Vegas Review-Journal
shows Clinton leading Trump in the state, 48% to 41%.
* In North Carolina, new polls put Clinton's lead in the state at one point
, three points
, and seven points
* As for the U.S. Senate race in the Tar Heel State, the Monmouth poll
shows incumbent Sen. Richard Burr (R) ahead by six points, while the New York Times
shows him trailing Deborah Ross (D) by one point. read more