Today's installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* Rudy Giuliani, a leading Trump campaign surrogate, told reporters
last night, "If I were Donald Trump I wouldn't participate in another debate unless I was promised that a journalist would act like a journalist and not an incorrect, ignorant fact checker." The second presidential debate is scheduled for Oct. 9.
* Though there's apparently been some chatter
about Trump defeating Hillary Clinton in a post-debate CBS News poll, it's worth noting that there was no post-debate CBS News poll
* Trump campaign aides apparently want voters to be impressed
with the GOP nominee for not bringing up Bill Clinton sex scandals during last night's debate.
* Yesterday, ahead of the debate, the latest NBC News/SurveyMonkey tracking poll
showed Clinton leading Trump by five points in a four-way contest, 45% to 40%. In a head-to-head match-up, Clinton's advantage grows to seven points, 51% to 44%.
* A Monmouth University poll
released yesterday showed a closer contest, with Clinton leading in a four-way affair, 46% to 42%, and narrowly ahead in a head-to-head race, 49% to 46%, among likely voters.
* Though nearly all recent polling out of Iowa shows Trump ahead, a Loras poll released yesterday found Trump and Clinton tied
at 38% each. read more