msnbc.com provides a forum for people to share and discuss topics relating to the news and msnbc programming. We all want msnbc.com to be a place to participate in open, thoughtful, and productive dialogue. As a member of the msnbc.com community, you are expected to foster healthy, open discussions by respecting others, avoiding self-promotion, and being responsible for what you post. The Terms of Service—including Section 8 and this Code of Conduct—are a condition of your use and access to the online services. We reserve the right to moderate posts, suspend or remove users and otherwise take, or refrain from taking, any and all steps available to us once we become aware of any violation of these provisions.
1) Above all else, respect others. Address issues and arguments and refrain from making personal attacks toward authors, msnbc employees, and fellow commenters. If you see something disrespectful or inappropriate, don’t respond, report it, using our “Report Abuse” form. If a comment contains a personal attack or other Code of Conduct violation, it may be deleted—regardless of the quality or nature of the rest of the comment. Users are welcome to re-post moderated comments without the offending portion(s).
a) msnbc values and encourages debate, but will not tolerate hate speech or content that supports violence against people or entities based on, but not limited to, race, religion, gender, age, or sexual orientation.
b) Harassment and/or intimidation of others on msnbc will not be tolerated, and patterns of such behavior may result in account cancelation. Adding a personal attack to an otherwise valuable comment or article serves only to render that contribution invalid in its entirety.
c) msnbc reserves the right to remove any content deemed inappropriate, including but not limited to offensive language, vulgar, or profane content of any kind.
d) Comments that are off-topic may be deleted at our discretion.
2) Advertising: Self-promotion, seeding links to your own site(s), and advertising are not allowed.
a) Do not seed links to any sites you’re affiliated with, especially if they are marketing efforts unrelated to the actual conversation.
b) Do not post links to drive traffic elsewhere for personal or financial gain.
3) Be responsible for the content you post.
a) If you did not write something, do not portray it as your own (use the ‘reply’ button when quoting other commenters, the ‘blockquote’ button for quotes from others, and cite your source by linking to the original content). If you do not have the right to republish the content in question, do not post it to MSNBC.
b) Do not impersonate any person/entity or falsely state your affiliation with any person or entity.
4) msnbc encourages the founding, fostering, and joining of Groups. As a Group administrator and member, you are expected establish and maintain respectful behavior within your group.
5) We are firm believers in second chances, but after repeated offensive or disrespectful behavior you may be banned from further participation.
If you see something on our site that you believe violates our terms, you should report it to us. Please do not report comments based on disagreement or difference of opinion on an issue being discussed. Because of the diverse nature of our community, we offer you the option of ignoring a person via their avatar usercard.