As a social worker in a public clinic, I see how poverty affects the lives of low wage workers on a daily basis. The stress, anxiety, depression can be unbearable when its exacerbated by the struggle to cover basic needs. read more
Detroit is broke, and the city's retired workers may have to pay a hefty price. Kevyn Orr, Detroit's emergency manager, has said he may cut the city's pension funds in order to pay back creditors. The city workers' unions have fought back against this threat, saying that cuts to the modest pensions would devastate their members. read more
Just a week and a half after a federal judge ruled that the New York Police Department's "stop-and-frisk" program is unconstitutional, the city of Detroit is developing its own version of the policy. On Monday, the Detroit News reported that the city's police department is working in consultation with the Manhattan Institute and the Bratton Group, two of the architects for New York stop-and-frisk, to train Traffic Unit officers. read more
Early Sunday morning David Miranda, partner of the Guardian's Glenn Greenwald, was detained in London's Heathrow Airport for 9 hours-- the maximum time someone can be held without charge in the UK. Greenwald was the first to break Edward Snowden's stories on the National Security Agency's (NSA) surveillance tactics.
"They wanted to intimidate our journalism, to show that they have power and will not remain passive but will attack us more intensely if we continue publishing their secrets," Greenwald said on Monday about the UK's decision to detain his partner. read more
1. This Tumblr account not only has a leg up on the competition, but it will also make you rethink your next hot dog.
(photo credit: http://hot-dog-legs.tumblr.com/)
2. What could an airport terminal and pool have in common? These videos show that venue is never an obstacle for basketball practice.
3. A gospel choir decided to warn churchgoers that oversharing on Facebook is actually sinful. Preach!
Tuesday night on All In with Chris Hayes: U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, Canadian citizen? The Tea Party Republican released his birth certificate over the weekend amid confusion over his citizenship. read more
Attorneys for Brazilian citizen David Miranda, the partner of Guardian reporter Glenn Greenwald, say their client was unlawfully detained by London Metropolitan police and that they will be seeking legal redress. In an Aug. 20 letter to British Home Secretary Theresa May and London Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Miranda's attorney's called his detention a "flagrant misuse" of power and said they would be seeking damages. read more
New York City's controversial policing tactic known as stop-and-frisk was ruled unconstitutional by a U.S. judge last week, reigniting the issue. Its chief defenders---soon-to-be departing mayor, Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly --- have been making media rounds in defense of the program. But with Bloomberg's legacy and Kelly's possible future position as Secretary of Homeland Security hanging in the balance--is the tone they want to strike one of inflexibility? read more
1. Does this groom's bruised face count as something blue? This wedding disaster video fail proved that DIY tricks aren’t for everyone.
2. One pro-Bob Filner protester says she never received “sloppy kisses” from the San Diego mayor--because she “never the opportunity.”
3. Legendary performer Prince has a new cover for his single "Breakfast Can Wait," and it's sure to make every Chappelle’s Show fan rejoice.